Venice/Florence for 20th Anniversary- Recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2022, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings- My 20th wedding anniversary is next year, late summer. We haven't been to Europe since pre-Covid and are looking forward in returning. We've been to Rome (1 week with a day trip to Orvieto and 1 day trip to Sperlonga), but not Florence or Venice and it seems fitting for a milestone anniversary celebration. Due to work schedules and finances, we can only swing 11 days (not including 2 days of travel). I have a basic itinerary tentatively planned that allows for leisure time (wandering around the city & local neighborhoods, doing some of the kitschy tourist things, etc.), with several day trips that are more action packed. I'm not a fan of packing in too much, but it seems unlikely that we will be back to Italy in the near future, so I'd like to take advantage of those side trips & get as much of the countryside as I can. I'll share my itinerary below, but am looking for some romantic, out of the way experiences that the travel experts to this region can suggest. Or maybe what I've projected fits the bill (?)...Thank you for looking & happy travels!

Late August 2023
Monday morning: Arrive in Venice (Hotel options- which will be a splurge for us- Hotel Bucintoro)
Tues-Wed: Venice/ side trip to Burano/Murano
Thursday early afternoon: Train to Florence, arrive in Florence (Hotel Pendini)
Friday- Monday: Florence with 1 day trip to Cinque Terre (tour), 1 day trip to Pisa, Siena & San Gimignano (tour)
Tuesday early afternoon: Train to Venice (we will be in Venice for our anniversary- Hotel Canal Grande)...
Wednesday- Thursday: Venice and 1 day trip to the Dolomites
Friday late morning: Head back to reality...

Old Nov 17th, 2022, 02:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Queen's girl, congratulations on your anniversary and welcome to Fodors! 11 days to spend split between Florence and Venice is quite a good chunk of time, but can I ask why you are splitting your time in Venice in two parts? If you can easily fly into Florence, you could start your trip there, and that will save you a day or so of moving back and forth.

That would give you this;

Mon Day 1 - arrive Florence. check in and explore Florence.
Tues Day 2 - day trip to Pisa, Siena and San Gim
Wed Day 3 - Florence
Thur Day 4 - trip to Cinque Terre
Fri Day 5 - Florence
Sat Day 6 - Early train to Venice, check in, explore.
Sun Day 7 - day trip to Murano, Burano and Torcello [please do not miss out Torcelllo]
Mon Day 8 - exploring Venice
Tues Day 9 - day trip to Dolomites
Wed Day 10 - Venice
Thur Day 11 - Venice
Fri Day 12 - fly home.

As you have quite a lot of side trips planned from Florence, freeing up a day or so may be a big help with your itinerary; you could even give yourselves an extra day in florence to allow you to recover from jetlag before you do any excusions. Apart from that you have quite a busy schedule so I wouldn't suggest doing any more. You could also turn this round and fly into Venice and out of Florence. It could be very hot that time of year so you want to spend as little time in trains etc as possible. Hope this helps!
Old Nov 17th, 2022, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Hello and thank you…

Yes, your suggestion is what I wanted and had initially planned. But once I started to research flights from where I was flying out of, Venice ended up being the most economical and there were direct flights. I would prefer a nonstop flight if possible. But since I have some time, I may continue to do a little more research on the flight options and see if there’s something available. Also, the multi city option ended up being more expensive for us.
Old Nov 17th, 2022, 05:05 PM

Do you still need a hotel in Florence? I can recommend Hotel David.

Re: Venice, take a good look at Hotel Al Ponte Antico if you are still open to suggestions.

I endorse Annhig's suggestions; she knows Venice well!
Old Nov 17th, 2022, 05:12 PM

With flying RT Venice, IMHO, the arrival day is taxing anyway, and you are making the trip to
Florence at some point anyway, so rather than splitting Venice, and using part of another day to travel to Florence, I would go ahead and take the train right away on to Florence. You might even get a bit of a nap on the train.
Old Nov 17th, 2022, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, I’ll check those out!
Old Nov 17th, 2022, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sassafrass
With flying RT Venice, IMHO, the arrival day is taxing anyway, and you are making the trip to
Florence at some point anyway, so rather than splitting Venice, and using part of another day to travel to Florence, I would go ahead and take the train right away on to Florence. You might even get a bit of a nap on the train.
This may be a viable option. Seems like the consensus is not to split Venice stay.
Thank you.
Old Nov 17th, 2022, 06:33 PM

My suggestion would be fly into Venice (Marco Polo) and fly out of Florence. Getting from Marco Polo to downtown Venice is easier than Venice to Marco Polo.

If flying into Marco Polo, get seats on the right hand side of the aircraft and you will see Venice in all her fish shaped glory as you fly in.

Books set in Venice are fun. Try the novels of Philip Gwyn Jones. They are great.
Old Nov 17th, 2022, 06:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Another vote for not splitting the time Venice.

Unless you are immune to high temps and humidity, you may find that you need to really slow down in the middle of the day... perhaps even retreat to your hotel room to get out of the sun and heat for an hour or two. This could impact how much sightseeing you're able (or willing) to do most days.

Personally, I'd skip the Cinque Terre. It's at least 6 hours of travel (bus, van or train) for a short look around one or two towns and (hopefully) lunch. The tourist crowds will be huge.

I would also reconsider the tour of Pisa, SanG and Siena in a single day. It's at least 5 hours of travel, and while SanG can be a relatively short stop, you wouldn't spend enough time in Pisa and Siena to see the most significant sights. It would be easy to take a train from Florence to Pisa one afternoon, explore the sights in the Field of Miracles (Piazza dei Miracoli), have dinner and return to Florence in the evening. Without the drive to/from Pisa, a tour of just SanG and Siena would likely give you a half day in Siena and allow for a slower, more interesting drive through Chianti on secondary roads, rather than the rather boring autostrada.

Try to plan your trips out of Florence on Sunday and Monday when some of the main sights in Florence are closed. Make entry reservations for any sight that offers them... Duomo, Uffizi, Accademia, Bargello, Santa Croce, etc.

How were you hoping to make the day trip from Venice into the Dolomites? It would be yet another very long day sitting in a car/van.
Old Nov 18th, 2022, 09:36 AM

I just got back from Florence this weekend and it was an amazing time. This isn't an out of the way recommendation, but if you're an art fan the Uffizi Gallery is an absolute must. I'd also highly recommend eating a meal at Trattoria Marione. The Florentine steak was the single greatest steak I've ever eaten in my life.

And again if you're an art fan I'd recommend visiting the Peggy Guggenheim collection in Venice. They have several Picasso's, Rothko's, and Andy Warhol and all other sorts of great works from the 20th century.

Have a great time in Italy, it's truly the best country I've ever visited!
Old Nov 18th, 2022, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the thoughtful suggestions. I'll take them into consideration.

Yes, on both the art & steak (fan of both).

Hotel Al Ponte Antico seems magical! Alas, it's out of my price range (and limited availability). Hotel David looks beautiful as well and fits the smaller, boutique style we gravitate to. A little on the higher end of my price range, but I'm considering it. Trying to keep it below $200. My 2 "splurge" options in Venice are Hotel Bucintoro & Hotel Grand Canale. I'm open to other suggestions. Hotel Ottantotto Firenze is another one I'm considering due to its charm & price. My original choice was a good price & location, but now I'm not so sure...

Thank you for sharing about closings in Florence..I sometimes forget to check that. Good to know.

In regard to day trips, aside from visiting the smaller Venetian islands, the rest will be done via tours. I found some on Viator that get good reviews. Not necessarily my preferred way to travel, but due to our limited time it seems the best option. I wouldn't attempt the Dolomites on our own. And honestly, both that & Cinque Terre are tentative. But I'm not sure we'll have a chance to return so this may be our only chance to visit. I also tend to get antsy after 3-4 nights in one place. Since I can't go overnight to these regions, a day trip would have to do.

Airfare- The best rates I'm getting are flying in and out of Venice from where I'm located. There are also direct flights which I like. It seems rather enticing to fly into Venice. I've read flying out can be a hassle. We tend to pack very light and only use travel backpacks, so typically don't have lots to schlep. A multicity ticket would've been ideal, but it's cost prohibitive. I don't fly frequently, so have no miles or points to redeem.

Thank you again...
Old Nov 18th, 2022, 02:41 PM

I've flown into and out of Venice a lot, albeit only short haul. Neither has really presented any significant problems save a very early flight out last time which found me getting the last night vaporetto at about 4.30 am which was far too early in the morning to be real. If you can avoid a too early departure time, flying out of Venice shouldn't really be a problem unless those here kite Pete who have done it long haul know different. And as Pete says, flying into Venice [sitting on the RH side of the plane as he recommends] is a unique experience as you see it in all its glory blow you. And if you are very lucky you will get a clear view over the alps too.

<<In regard to day trips, aside from visiting the smaller Venetian islands, the rest will be done via tours. I found some on Viator that get good reviews. Not necessarily my preferred way to travel, but due to our limited time it seems the best option. >>

if you follow Jean's suggestions, you won't need Viator at all except perhaps for the Dolomites, though I too query what you are going to be able to see in a day that is worth spending so long in a van for. Pisa is very easy to reach by train from the main station in Florence, [Santa Maria Novella or SMN] and Siena by bus from the bus station which is next door. I think that you can get a bus to San Gim from there too. Another nice bus trip in Florence is to get the bus up to Fiesole, a town above Florence, which takes about 30 mins as it winds up through the hills. The bus goes from Piazza San Marco [near the Academia] so it can pair well with either an early visit to the Academia, or to the Museum of San Francesco which is most famous for its frescos by Fra Angelico. Once you get to Fiesole there is a wonderful view over Florence, plus a roman amphitheatre, a basilica, and the monastery of San Francesco which we enjoyed if only for the egyptian mummies in the museum. And there are several very nice restaurants too with shady outdoor eating areas.

If you want to do a bit more exploring from Venice, there are many places you can go by train [the main station is called Santa Lucia BTW, do not whatever you do, get off at Mestre like I did once] like Padua and Vicenza, or just take a vaporetto out to the Lido and go for a swim. But again Jean makes a very good point about temperatures which may lead to you wanting to have a siesta to avoid the heat which might curtail day long excursions. Another advantage of putting all your Venice days together is that it would be worth buying a 7 day vaporetto pass which will take you anywhere you want to go by vaporetto for a whole week no matter however many journeys you want to make. As a 3 day pass costs €40, and a 7 day pass €60, it's a real bargain.
Old Nov 18th, 2022, 04:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I looked at the itineraries of the Viator day tours from Venice to the Dolomites. As far as I can tell, not one tour goes over a single mountain pass. For me, crossing over the passes are the highlight of visiting the Dolomites. The Viator tours mention free time in Cortina to shop and stroll. Ugh. I like Cortina, but I'd rather see more of the Dolomites than shop.
Old Nov 18th, 2022, 06:27 PM

Try and come up with a thread, a path, something that brings it together. Failing that, your trip can turn so easily into a trail of photo ops. One time in Venice, i was taken by the paintings of Tiepolo Father, Son and Grandson. So I trailed all over Venice seeking out their works. Maybe fifteen different venues, and it was fun; almost as if i had come to know the family through their shared style.

another trip, we stayed in an apartment renoveted by a student of Carlo Scarpa, Venice’s best known modern archi. So I went off seeking Scarpa works all over the Veneto, and I came to know and recognise his architectural handwriting.

Or just the bizarre. The best ever book about Venice is, not surprisingly, Venice by James/Jan Morris. Morris writes about bells, “The bells of Oratory of the Virgin, near San Giobe, so annoyed the monks of the neighbourhood convent that in 1515 they went out one night and razed its little campanile to the ground.: they had to rebuild it at thei own expense.” So I went looking for the campanile, not as yet found.

So try and come up with your own focus, it makes the visit so much more rewarding.

Hi Anne, maybe we see you in Venice October 2023.

if you click on my user name, you’ll find a bunch of boring stuff about Venice.
Old Nov 18th, 2022, 07:12 PM

Your trip is not until next year, late Summer, so you have plenty of time to think about the best day trips for you and how best to do them.

All places will be crowded, but San G can be suffocatingly so. It is really small and tight walking, IMHO prettier looking at it from outside the city, so I would not rush to include it on a long day trip.

Siena is so special, even with heat and crowds, I would include it if possible on your own by bus from Florence. Check bus schedules. Go early before mid-day heat or if there are late busses, go late afternoon, stay for dinner and walking in the evening.

Pisa is so iconic, I would likely do it, including the church and a bit of the town. I would not take a tour, especially by bus. I would just take the train on my own, easy and fast from Florence. It could be an easy afternoon after some morning time in Florence.

I would strongly consider Lucca and Pisa as a day trip together, on your own, by train. Lucca can also be incredibly crowded, but you can get away from the crowds, bike or walk the walls and enjoy some quiet areas.

As to Cinque Terre, true you may never return, but there are tons of places in the world you will never get to or return to. Unless it is some gem that has been on your wish list or bucket list forever, And is important enough to actually spend time seeing and enjoying it, why spend more time getting there than actually being there?

Perhaps it was just bad luck, but we have been caught in some really bad traffic delays in Italy, so avoid bus tours and take trains if at all possible.
Old Nov 18th, 2022, 09:25 PM
Original Poster

I will definitely read up on the many reports (boring or not, lol) & check out the advice shared by those who’ve frequented these areas. Like stated, I have some time. But for me planning is 80% of the fun, lol.

Travel is so personal…As much as I love art & history my trip to Rome (don’t flame me) just didn’t do it for me…I really don’t know why. I’m grateful for the experience but it didn’t really mesh with me. And I was certain it would. But these 2 cities have always been on my list; Florence (ever since I saw A Room with a View) and Venice (watching A Little Romance as a kid). I know it’s kitschy but those where my first impressions…

I’ve frowned upon tours since I prefer independent travel & the adventure but I had bad luck with trains (not buses) on my day trips in Italy and decided the next time I’d take a chance on a tour. I’m also getting older and can appreciate someone doing the leg work for you when needed.

The Dolomite tour I checked (and yes, there’s lots of driving) spent the most amount of time on Lago di Braies. And the least amount jn Cortina. (Lago di Misurina, Admission Ticket Free to Tre Cime di Lavaredo (Pass By) and 2hrs in Lago di Braies). Compared to others, it didn’t seem that bad.

The Cinque Terre tour allows for extended time in one of the villages (3hrs in Monterosso al Mare with swimming option), aside from visiting 3 others.

Lots of good suggestions shared, so thank you!

Old Nov 21st, 2022, 10:28 AM

<<Hi Anne, maybe we see you in Venice October 2023.>>

Hi Pete, wouldn't that be great?

QueensGirl - I love Pete's idea of a theme for a visit and given your love for those two films, perhaps they could be yours.