Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Venice Flood Siren (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/venice-flood-siren-207765/)

Carolyn Nov 16th, 2001 08:27 AM

Venice Flood Siren

We've just returned from our first trip to Italy. It was a wonderful time, full of adventures and sights. I had not read or heard about the Venice flood sirens before hearing them for the first time; they certainly provided an effective "wake-up call" on our first morning in Venice.<BR><BR>Just after 7 am we were jolted from bed by an unbelievably loud blast that sounded like a WWII air-raid siren. Given the recent events in the US our thoughts immediately went to terrorism, but after a few seconds of frantic running around the hotel room we reasoned that Venice didn't seem to be a likely target. Later that morning we learned that the siren is sounded to warn residents and business people of the coming floods. We giggled over the speculation that our hotel proprietor enjoyed the sounds of the tourists running around in their rooms in a panic and that is why he had not warned us the night before. I hope he doesn't mind that I'm spoiling his fun with this post!<BR>

Ginger Nov 16th, 2001 09:57 PM

Hi there Carolyn: I'll be in Venice mid-December. Do you have any tips on coping with floods? I'm definitely a dry land person so this could be interesting.<BR><BR>I truly mean it when I say, "info would be gratefully received!" <BR><BR>Thanks. <BR><BR>

Ginger Nov 16th, 2001 10:04 PM

Hi there Carolyn: I'll be in Venice mid-December. Do you have any tips on coping with floods? I'm definitely a dry land person so this could be interesting.<BR><BR>I truly mean it when I say, "info would be gratefully received!" <BR><BR>Thanks. <BR><BR>

Carolyn Nov 17th, 2001 06:53 AM

Hi Ginger, it my understanding that the flooding takes place in the Fall and Winter, so I would think you may get to have "the flood experience". If you have room in your luggage I would pack a pair of waterproof shoes (we call them "duck boots") - or plastic trash bags. Platforms are put out along the main walking routes (I have a photo of this); it is actually a lot of fun if you are prepared. Since the water comes and recedes within a few hours it is possible to avoid the water. However, if you need to get somewhere (such as the airport as we did) be aware of the tide tables. We made our way to the water taxi just in the nick of time - the water was beginning to cover the streets!<BR><BR>Please feel free to email with any questions or if you would like me to send the photo (we also visited Rome & Florence for the first time).

Maurice Nov 18th, 2001 09:16 AM

Search for the recent "Aqua Alta" thread on this forum...

Kay Nov 18th, 2001 06:29 PM

The aqua alta and rain issue is exactly what I was wondering about. How deep is the water? Are duck boots, how high are recommended? Traveling after Christmas and into January.<BR>thanks, K