Venice Film Festival

Search

Venice Film Festival

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice Film Festival

Have you been? If so,what was the atmosphere like,particularly compared to other ffestivals,if you've been to others. I am newly smitten with Venice,and am dreaming of another visit.
Last fall I attended the Toronto film festival and had the most wonderful time.I know,the last thing people want to do in such a beautiful city as Venice is to sit in a dark theatre all day,but I still think it could be a lot of fun.
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 06:50 AM

Well, this is only second hand information, but a friend who does a lot of work with independent films has been to Cannes, Sundance, Toronto, and Venice among others. He says that the Venice one is the only one that isn't based on "attitude" and is a whole lot of fun. That, of course, comes from someone in the film industry who is turned off by the papparazzi and the "who's really important this year" routine. If you're not invited to the parties (but wouldn't that be fun?), I'm not sure how that would affect you.
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 10:20 AM

Have not attended the festival but have been in Venice during the festival (we had a meeting starting 2 days later and I went early to prep).

It was mobbed (even for Venice) and incredibly expensive. Hotels were double/triple the usual (high) price (two years ago we paid over $900 per night for one in a double room - but only about $375 after the festival - and this was on the Lido). And its incredibly difficult to get into a decent restaurant.

I understand many people even stay outside the city and commute in each day to save money - or find any room at all.

So while it could be great fun - be prepared to pay big $$$.
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your helpful posts.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 10:20 AM

Any other information regarding what Venice is like during the Film Festival?

I've not decided when I'll be there exactly, but the range of possible dates (Sept. 2-5) overlap with the Film Festival.

I can see myself pulling my hair out trying to get a hotel already.

Thanks.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 01:17 PM

I was there last year for only one day and went to see two films. The festival is at the Lido which is rather unglamorous. The atmosphere is pretty relaxed and pleasant. The only "star" I got to see was Spike Lee but I wasn't there to gawk at actors. I did see people waiting outside a couple of hotels for actors to come out. I find the experience of watching a film shown for the first time with the author and actors present rather exciting.

I don't think there are a whole lot of accomodations at the Lido compared to other parts of Venice, and it's pretty dead at night. I'd stay in main Venice and travel by ferry (be prepared for long waits if see one of the late movies). It's nice to go to the Lido earlier in the day and spend time at the beach .

Most importantly, book your tickets online in advance!
Finally, I think there is also the Regata Storica that may coincide with the festival. That's also a big event, so expect crowds.