Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

From Marseille airport to St.remy de Provence

Old Feb 6th, 2013, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Without a rental car, I'm fairly certain that the best way to get from the airport at MRS to St. Remy de Pr. is by taxi. I have looked into the cost. But perhaps someone knows of a cheaper (reliable way). Is there a bus? Two people; two large-ish pieces of luggage. Thank you!
Old Feb 6th, 2013, 10:08 AM

Here is a "shuttle" service that charges around 100 euro for that trip. It's really a private car drive for that route, I think they have some group vans for certain routes. I'm sure there are some other companies like that also but that rate isn't too bad, eg http://www.airport-transfers-direct....-provence.html
charges 140 euro.

You don't say what the taxi costs to know if it is cheaper, I suspect it would be as I find estimates of a taxi around 1 euro per km and that is 80 km. I might go with a flat rate of 90 euro vs. that estimate to be on the safe side, never knowing what could happen.

There are public buses but I don't think you want to go that way no matter what it costs. The only route I find takes 2 transfers and about 3-4 hrs (going through Nimes). And there aren't very many choices per day, only a couple which may not suit your schedule. But you can check on www.lepilote.com You have to use Marignane for the airport.
Old Feb 6th, 2013, 11:46 AM

Why not rent a car. What are you going to do from St. Remy?
Old Feb 6th, 2013, 01:09 PM

Consider renting a car..good roads, easy drive to St.R. Can stop and see along the way..Wander this remarkable area. If you are uncomfortable with a car then google private transport to St.R. from airport..Maybe you'll get lucky>
Old Feb 6th, 2013, 01:28 PM

sorry this is the one that cost 90 euro http://www.shuttledirect.com
Old Feb 6th, 2013, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. I believe the taxi cost is about E100. The people who will be joining us the next day, from Avignon, will be renting the car for the group. Christina, that shuttledirect may be the way to go. Much appreciated.
Old Feb 7th, 2013, 02:03 PM

I just noticed that website may be quoting a rate per person, so for 2 people, it looks like it is 190 euro. I wouldn't do that (that is ridiculous for them to charge that way in a private car). So check it out carefully. I think maybe before I only put in one person for the rate quote.
Old Feb 7th, 2013, 02:19 PM

I just thought of another method if you really don't want to pay the 100 euro for the taxi. It is convoluted, but will work.

YOu could take the train from Marseille to Cavaillon which is only about 20 km from Saint Remy, and then a taxi from there. That train is about 15 euro per person and takes around an hour. But you'd have to get into town to the gare. That isn't difficult, there are regular buses that do that for around 8 euro (go right to gare St Charles), as I've taken them. But this would all just take a lot of time. I think Cavaillon would be better than the train to Avignon as it is a smaller town and I think the taxi from there to St Remy would be easier and quicker (although Avignon is about the same distance from St Remy).

Also, you could actually take a bus from Cavaillon to St Remy, but that would be a lot of trouble (bus-train-bus) unless you have a lot of time to kill. THis is the bus line http://www.cg13.fr/fileadmin/user_up...res/FH0054.pdf

There is a bus from Avignon, also, of course. I took that once and it took forever but some runs may be quicker.