Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice - Easiest way to get from train station to Piazza de San Marco

Old Jun 18th, 1998, 06:38 AM
Chad

I'll be arriving in Venice by train, and was wondering what was the best way to get to Piazza San Marco from the train station. I was hoping to be able to walk it... Is that reasonable?

Old Jun 18th, 1998, 08:18 AM
wes fowler

The easiest way to get from the station to the Plaza is via Vaporetto, the ferry. A number of ferry routes stop at the train station. Only lines 1, 2 and 34 go to San Marco. To walk takes on the dimensions of an overnight hike!

Old Jun 18th, 1998, 08:35 AM
Karen

I personally suggest that you walk since that is how you will get to see much of the city. It is a little bit confusing, but there are blue markers everywhere directing you to San Marco. Frankly, taking the ferry can sometimes be a hassle because it can get super crowded depending on the time of year. The walk is long, but it certainly is a realistic task. Have fun!

Old Jun 18th, 1998, 08:35 AM
kam

I can't imagine how you could begin a walk from the train to San Marco!! It would be like a maze of little streets. Definitely take the Vaporetto--be sure you pack light because it is generally crowded in the summer. If you were driving I would suggest leaving excess luggage in your car trunk. Maybe you can check it at the station, I don't know the answer to that. Be prepared for heat, humidity, less than lovely smells, and lots of tourists if you're going anytime soon. Good trip.

Old Jun 18th, 1998, 10:05 AM
Paul Rabe

Just a thought -- how about taking the Vaparetto one way and walking the other? If you arrive early in the morning, I would suggest going immediately to San Marcos via the Vaparetto before the crowds arrive. Then make a leisurely walk back. Parts of Venice are best (if not ONLY) seen from a boat; others parts, on foot. Doing both gives you the best of both worlds!

Old Jun 18th, 1998, 10:32 AM
Chad

Hey everyone, thanks for your suggestions! I'll be leaving in about a month and I'm sure that more of these random questions will occur to me as I look at travel guides, maps, etc. Thanks again!

Old Jun 18th, 1998, 10:38 AM
Lisa

Having just returned from Venice, I can say that you should take the Vaporetto if you are loaded with luggage. Purchase a 24 ticket and squeeze on the boat. The ride is plesent. If you are bag-less and want to walk, then just follow the blue signs and a good map - almost impossible to get. Be sure to walk thru the shopping area right behind San Marco Square. Ride the boats a lot. Go to Lido if you want a break from Venice - the beach has lots of shells. Walking in Venice was confusing but fun. Have a nice trip.

Old Jun 18th, 1998, 11:13 AM
Michael

Take the Vaporetto or walk but DON'T ever leave anything in the car including a locked trunk in a parking lot outside Venice. It won't be there when you get back!!!

Old Jun 19th, 1998, 02:00 PM
l.martin

Definitely take the Vaporetto and really watch for pickpockets! I almost got ripped off---they are so clever!!! We arrived by train at night and the vaporettos are very crowded. Be sure you have an idea where your hotel is because so many tourists wander the streets at night and can't find there hotels.