Venice cost of private taxi

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2005, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My hotel emailed me that it would cost approximately 60 euro for a water taxi from the train station to the hotel which is in the Cannaregio district, right on the Grand Canal at the Ca D'Or vaparetti stop. From the maps, it looks pretty close the the train station. Does that price seem right? I know many of you will be glad when I get out of town and stop asking annoying questions. 14 days to go
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 01:52 PM

Hi damama, I am surprised the hotel told you that the cost would be 60 euro, I believe it is more like 80 euro.

But I would assume the hotel knows what they are talking about.

A private taxi is not inexpensive but it is a beautiful way to arrive in Venice.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 02:12 PM

Since your hotel is right by a vaparetto stop, is there a reason you don't want to take the vaparetto? 60E seems awfully high. LoveItaly, I'll bet your thinking about the price from the airport rather than the train station.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 03:24 PM

Hi Joceyln, yes you are right, I was thinking of the airport. I read damama's post to fast and did not take in it was the train station.

Yes, the vaparetto would make more sense in this case. Unless you have tons of luggage. And damama, your questions are not annoying. Sorry that my first answer was!
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

I love your answers LoveItaly. Not annyoying but very helpful. I had thought we would probably not do the vaporetti because many other posters made it seem "wrong" to take it. We will each have a large suitcase and a carry-on. Is that too much? I don't know the size of the large one but not horrible but definitely not the size to go in the overhead. They also have wheels. Do you think it is do-able on the vaporetti? I certainly would love to save the money for something else. Anyway, I would still like any idea of the cost of the private taxi from the train station if anyone knows.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 04:56 AM

Hi there -- We took one suitcase and a carry-on onto the vaporetto last year and rode from the train station to the Accademia stop (which is further than Ca D'Oro). So, I think you'll be fine to use it. A three-day pass is somwhere around 22 Euros per person, as well, so you'll save plenty of money that way, as well. Good luck!
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 05:35 AM

Why on earth would anyone tell you NOT to use the vaporetto? Just goes to show, not all advice given here is good or smart.

On many occasions, I've seen families struggle with three bags for each person and get on the vaporetti. One would think they were moving into town. As awkward and cumbersome as this activity is, it's a way of life in Venice. Millions of visitors can't afford to travel any other way. Schlepping luggage on the vaporetti is far more common than you can imagine and the boats are designed to handle it.

If the boats are crowded (depends on time of arrival) the captain will probably instruct you to store your bags in the luggage bin, near the center as you enter. Otherwise, simply roll your bag to your seat or stand away from entrance of the boat and you will be fine, especially with your very light load. If you struggle with getting your bag on the boat, I'm sure someone will come to your aid within seconds. It happens all the time.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 06:35 AM

Be aware that you are supposed to pay a fare for a large suitcase on the vaparetto. I had forgotten that as we arrived and hopped on one with our luggage. Oddly enough we were immediately confronted with two officers who were checking to make sure everyone had tickets (we had just bought our three day passes). Suddenly I remembered about the suitcase charge and waited to play dumb if he said anything. Despite our standing and straddling the suitcases, when he checked our passes not a word was said about the luggage, so it sure seems to be a none issue. There is no way he could have NOT noticed it, so frankly they just don't enforce the rule about luggage.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Maybe I will reconsider the Vaporetti. I would rather spend the money on food than worry about what others think of me on the way to my hotel. I will just try not to be too intrusive with my luggage.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 08:41 AM

Patrick,
did you have more than one large bag per person? Your three-day pass allowed you to carry on one large bag without paying a extra fare.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 08:54 AM

From ACTV's website:

<i>Other special travel cards are available allowing unlimited use of all water bus lines (excluding the Alilaguna, Fusina, LineaBlu and Clodia services) and on the buses in Mestre and Lido. <b>These cards entitle passengers to carry one item of luggage with them:</b>

- One-day Travel Card for &euro; 10,50 , valid from 24 hors from the time of stamping.
- Three-day Travel Card for &euro; 22,00 with a 72-hour validity from the time of stamping.
- &quot;3-day Young Persons'&quot; Travel Card for &euro; 15,00 with a validity of 72 hours from the day and time of stamping. It is issued only upon presentation of the Rolling Venice Card issued by the Venice City Council.</i>
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 10:07 AM

Well, those last two posts explain a lot. No, we each had only one large bag.

I've never read anything about that allowance with the passes. I've only noticed while standing waiting for a vaparetto the clearly listed rules that stated a ticket is required for each large bag -- on those signs there is no indication that passes are exempt from that requirement. Now I wonder how many people with passes go ahead and buy an extra ticket based on those posted rules.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 01:03 PM

Hello damama. I sure understand your wanting to not spend money on the private taxi. I would feel the same way.

As others here have stated taking luggage (from the description of yours) in not a problem. My late DH and I did that more then once. We always had one large suitcase plus a carryon bag each.

The last time we decided to take the private taxi, and it was wonderful, needless to say.

But I would feel no need to do that again (unless the US dollar got real strong against the Euro which I doubt will happen).

And thank you for your kind words.

I think you have everything planned out well. And I know you will have a beautiful and magical time in Venice.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks I will, and I promise a detailed report when we return.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Thought I had all my questions answered. So as not to look really ignorant (hence my questions before I leave), what is the name of the vaporetti stop at the Venice train station? I went onto the ACTV site but didn't know which stop to put. I want to know which line to take to Ca D'Or.
Just think, 6 days and all I will have is brillant information for the next newbys.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 07:14 AM

Last April, my husband and I spent $240 for three water taxis in Venice. One to get us from the train station to our hotel, the Europa and Regina, a second from the hotel to the cruise ship dock and a third from the cruise ship dock to the train station. We were shocked at the cost, having always used the public water taxis in the past!
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 07:27 AM

If you're travelling from the station and your hotel in on the Grand Canal, it's the number 1 vaporreto - they run every 10 minutes.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 07:32 AM

- I think the vaporretto stop for the station is Ferrovia.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the information, Maria.