venice - choosing an area to stay

Jun 10th, 2005, 10:52 AM
pdx
Original Poster

venice - choosing an area to stay

I'm looking on venere.com for budget hotels (which I have succumbed to calling $150/night "budget") and while there are several with very good reviews I'm not sure which neighborhood to go with. A quiet room is good because I do like my naps and I don't want to have to truck too far back to the room for one. This is for an October trip, if that plays into consideration. I've been to Venice a couple times and my most vivid memory about it is exhaustion, so I'm looking forward to spending a couple nights enjoying the city, not just "seeing" it. So, with that info, where would you suggest looking for lodging?
Jun 10th, 2005, 10:57 AM

My favourite area in Venice is Dorsoduro. Many museums, cafes and restaurants, an easy traghetto ride across to the San Marco side of the Grand Canal, but still well away from the "madding crowds" of daytrippers on the Rialto to San Marco route.
Jun 10th, 2005, 12:05 PM

I've stayed twice in the Dorsoduro and like it very much. A bit out of the hub-bub but only a 10 mins. or so walk to San Marcos. Pensione La Calcina with a non-view room would fit your budget and request for quiet. Nice breakfast included in the price served in the breakfast room or the patio on the Guidecca canal.
www.lacalcina.com
Jun 10th, 2005, 12:09 PM

I agree with Dorsoduro or San Polo. Both far enough away from the major attractions for real quiet Venetian life, yet still easy walking distance to see the sights.
Jun 10th, 2005, 12:25 PM
pdx
Original Poster

Excellent! Thank you for your replies. La Calcina looks beautiful, too, and I'm going to try for a reservation right now. That's another difficult part of planning. Figuring our when you are going to be in what part of Italy.
Jun 10th, 2005, 12:57 PM

I ended up at the hotel on the recommendation of friends in switzerland. It is where they always send their visiting guests who want to see Venice. I've stayed there twice and adore the place. It is quite popular so I hope they have a spot for you available (hopefully they will since you're trip's in October not summer season).
Jun 10th, 2005, 05:08 PM
pdx
Original Poster

Bummer. La Calcina is booked up. I'll look for other hotels but I'd appreciate more suggestions.
Jun 10th, 2005, 06:28 PM

We also loved Dorsoduro. I've heard good things about Pensione Accademia in Dorsoduro.
http://www.pensioneaccademia.it

Novacento is another one that has gotten good reviews, though not in Dorsoduro - it is in San Marco, an area we found very touristy.
http://www.inns-venice-hotel-design.novecento.biz/

We stayed in Santa Croce, which we loved, but we rented an apartment, so can't help with hotels in that area.
Jun 11th, 2005, 05:30 AM

With $150 as your budget, you have very few choices. You might try the Hotel Guerrato, on a quite street a few blocks from the Rialto bridge.
Jun 12th, 2005, 03:50 AM

Sorry, somehow I missed your $150 budget.

If this is for a single, the Accademia would still fit the bill, and is in Dorsoduro.
Jun 12th, 2005, 04:02 AM

I'm not sure what their tariff is these days, but a couple of years ago we stayed at "Agli Alboretti" which is down the side street beside the Academia. We had a room at the back with its own tiny balcony. It was nice and quiet but not too far to walk to everything. We also found a little supermarket down the far end of the Zattere where we got picnic stuff to eat back at our room, and saved some money that way.
Jun 12th, 2005, 03:06 PM
pdx
Original Poster

Thank you and I'm busy checking availability. October is still high season so I'm getting the higher rates as well as limited availability. We haven't decided on flying in to Venice and out of Rome or vice versa. Though I think Sun-Mon-Tue in Venice at the beginning of the trip would be better than Thu-Fri-Sat at the end of the trip. I'm referring to crowds of tourists here. Rome will probably be nicer on the weekend due to less weekday business traffic. Any advice here?
Jun 13th, 2005, 02:56 PM
pdx
Original Poster

I'm slowly coming around to accepting $200/night. Ouch. But I've cruised through 25 hotel sites and reviews and I think it's inevitable. I'm hooked on staying in the Dorsoduro because of your advice(s) and I'm leaning toward this little six room hotel Locanda Matir. Anyone have anything to say about it? Not a view hotel from the one review on tripadvisor, but I love the idea of only 6 rooms. En suite w/c is a major factor, too.
Jun 13th, 2005, 04:10 PM

First of all, I would like to say hello to all. I have been enjoying the opinons and using the advice of the many avid and seasoned travelers who post on this site for a while now, and I hope to return the favor now and again with a few posts of my own.

I am going to cast my vote for Cannaregio as the neighborhood of choice in Venice. I stayed there for 4 nights last fall and really enjoyed the peace and quiet of the area. Each day I would walk to all of the other sestieri, but my walks back to Cannaregio forced me to explore some hidden paths I would have never seen had I stayed closer to the action. Dorsorduro is also an excellent choice, I must admit. Whatever your choice, have a great trip!
Jun 13th, 2005, 04:24 PM

I really liked staying in Cannaregio also, but my experience is limited. I don't know if La Forcola hotel would have anything in your price range for October, but you could try. http://www.laforcolahotel.com

If you are still thinking of the lower-end prices (although many in this list aren't actually that low-end), look at http://www.eurocheapo.com/Venice .
Jun 13th, 2005, 06:24 PM

We found Pensione Wildner a good value and very convenient. It is right at the Alilaguna stop for San Marcos, as well as by the vaporetto stop. I thought the room quality was quite good, though there is no elevator (and several floors). Definitely not a grand hotel like the Danielli a few doors down.
Jun 13th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Doble_Vergasser

There are more than a half dozen monastery and convent accomodations in Venice (if that appeals to you). Room rates start at about $80 per night.

Jun 14th, 2005, 01:53 AM

pdx: Practically next door to Ruskins is one of my favourites - Pensione Seguso www.pensioneseguso.it

Smaller and with possibly the world's smallest lift (elevator). I've stayed there 3 or 4 times & loved it.

On the other end of Zattere pier (turn left off the vaporetto) is a tiny trat. with wonderful food. Go past all the touristy ones to the end and you'll meet some locals. Try their black squid with polenta. Superb!
Jun 14th, 2005, 08:20 AM
pdx
Original Poster

Thanks to all for these suggestions. I'm glad I'm home for the day and my boyfriend is not because to him all this researching is just another sign of my neurosis. I'm thrilled to be able to eat at a good restaurant too. That's another Venice memory: the only place in Italy that served pizza from the 7-11 freezer. With a sneer and a dismissal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO