Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Venice-best area to stay? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/venice-best-area-to-stay-1665771/)

pamalam Apr 10th, 2019 06:50 PM

Venice-best area to stay?

Hello Fellow Travelers-
I am flying into Venice for a cruise in September. Wondering where would be the best place to stay? Near the airport, Cruise terminal, or somewhere else. We will be there for a few days before the cruise and 1 night after. After spending the last night in Venice, we plan to take the train to Florence. Again, not sure if we should stay nearer to the train station that night. Any suggestions for the best area for us? Doesn't have to be fancy, just clean and safe!
Thanks in advance,
Pam

bigtyke Apr 11th, 2019 09:48 AM

Stay in Venice itself. Doesn’t really matter where, Venice isn’t large. I stayed at a convent halfway betwen Rialto and San Marco and it was a good location.

J62 Apr 11th, 2019 10:10 AM

Agreed., stay in Venice proper.

Staying near the airport helps you once, upon arrival only., but hurts every time you want to come and go.
Staying near the cruise terminal helps you once, upon departure only, but hurts every time you want to come and go.

starrs Apr 11th, 2019 12:11 PM

Definitely in Venice.
We stayed at the Hotel Galleria and loved the hotel, the Grand Canal views and the location. HIGHLY recommend!
Hotel in Venice on the Grand Canal > Hotel Galleria

travelhorizons Apr 11th, 2019 12:19 PM

Agreed that you should stay *in* Venice. The airport is a quite long boat ride away from where you'll want to spend time. Definitely do not stay by the airport.

Train station is a reasonably short boat ride away from things in Venice.

suze Apr 11th, 2019 12:58 PM

IN Venice. You definitely don't want to stay out at the airport or something.

I like the Dorsoduro neighborhood, close in but a tad outside the crazy most central area.

Dukey1 Apr 11th, 2019 02:01 PM

and wait to go to San Marco at dusk when all the daytrippers have left.

maitaitom Apr 11th, 2019 02:29 PM

I've stayed in Dorsoduro three times.

((H))

suze Apr 11th, 2019 03:18 PM

Here's where I stayed twice (maitaitom has me beat -lol). It was perfectly lovely: https://www.lacalcina.com/

ellenem Apr 11th, 2019 03:33 PM

When you first arrive and have a few days before your cruise, stay in Venice proper. Different neighborhoods have different appeal. My favorite hotel is in Santa Croce in a quiet neighborhood though only 5 minutes walk from Ponte Rialto and 1 minute walk from the San Stae vaporetto stop--without having to cross a bridge.
https://www.alpontemocenigo.com/

I also enjoy Dorsoduro to the Santa Maria della Salute end. I've also stayed in Cannaregio and San Marco. OK, let's face it--I just like to be in Venice.

When you return for one night to depart, I would pick a hotel in Venice proper quite close to Piazzale Roma (the bus and land taxi station). That way you could easily walk from your hotel to catch the bus to the airport. Often flights home can be early so this would make that easier.

maitaitom Apr 11th, 2019 03:38 PM

"Here's where I stayed twice (maitaitom has me beat -lol)."

But we are tied at La Calcina (:

Gwendolynn Apr 11th, 2019 04:07 PM

We usually stayed in the Castello district... from cheap to the Metropole.
If you read Donna Leon's mysteries Guido Brunetti's police station is in Castello.

pamvs Apr 11th, 2019 07:35 PM

Really, a convent? What was that like?

pamvs Apr 11th, 2019 07:42 PM

Thanks for all of the advice, I really appreciate it! I am looking for something reasonable (if possible!). How about the Cannaregio district?

janisj Apr 11th, 2019 08:16 PM

pamvs: You probably should start a thread of your own -- since your needs are likely different than the OP's. And when you do start a thread -- 'reasonable' isn't a number, we need to know your actual budget.

zebec Apr 11th, 2019 08:37 PM

Pam, we have a great deal of experience in Venice (the good, bad and the ugly; mostly good) so I'll try to offer some advice here. Cannaregio is one of the more residential neighbourhoods and often serves as a sort of default locale for 'where can I go to escape the crowds and see how real Venetians live?' It will never win any beauty contests, especially in Italy, but a stroll there remains a good way to unwind. Truth is, if one arrives with an open mind and an attitude conducive to the magic of Venice, then there are few corners that could be called unattractive. That being said, the places that hold the most appeal for us have been San Polo, Castello and Dorsoduro.
Extra tips, most of which will be 'old hat' to some: try to see the doc 'The Venice Syndrome' before departure; avoid San Marco except for sunrise and sunset---otherwise the crowds may blow your mind; take vaporetto #1 its entire route and enjoy one of Travel's great inexpensive moments (be sure to leave luggage/bags back at your lodgings then, because the boats are normally over-crowded); if you visit Torcello and Burano islands (you should), then try to return home on the very final vaporetto boat. The quotient of nocturnal magic then is quite high, particularly if one sits at the very back of the stern. And night time is also the right time for a gondola ride, say around the San Polo district. If you might be able to grab a few other passengers, then a motoscafi (water taxi) ride is another unforgettable experience.
Venice is not cheap in any sense, so your budget will need to acknowledge that fact. But it is without doubt worth every penny. *We once traveled to Venice with a close relative who refused to acknowledge city's high costs and ruined the trip with their cheapness and contrarian behaviour. I repeat, it is way expensive.
Good luck!
I am done. The Doge.

StCirq Apr 12th, 2019 04:44 AM

Two years ago at Christmas we rented this place for a week: https://www.booking.com/hotel/it/ca-...47e2247c24d2ee

I was worried that it was too close to the madness of San Marco, but as it turned out it was on a very quiet calle and was spacious and beautiful. The price was pretty incredible for Venice, but that may have been the time of year. Drawbacks, if you could call them that, were that there was no elevator (duh - it's Venice - but only one flight of stairs) and the owner isn't in residence at night so you need to use the outdoor phone system to communicate if need be.

Pepper_von_snoot Apr 12th, 2019 06:39 AM

Only an idiot would stay at Marco Polo. 🤦*♀️

Stay in Venice near a vaporetto stop and you will be fine.

I recommend Ca' Dogaressa in Canareggio. It is also close to Santa Lucia Station.

Thin🐩

Fodorite018 Apr 12th, 2019 07:23 AM

We stayed between the Rialto and San Marco at the Hotel Canada. Not fancy, but clean and reasonably priced. We loved the location.

tuscanlifeedit Apr 12th, 2019 08:19 AM

I think I've stayed in each sestiere at one time or another. I don't regret any of them.

For the OP, I do think that proximity to the train station will be convenient for your last day/night if you're taking the train to Florence.

Lots of good recs here, but I usually narrow my choices by exact budget and or a planned activity (Biennale, or a tour or meet-up with friends).