Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Venice/Barcelona/Paris- what are things you MUST buy to bring home... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/venice-barcelona-paris-what-are-things-you-must-buy-to-bring-home-475686/)

scrappingbarbie Sep 21st, 2004 01:01 PM

Venice/Barcelona/Paris- what are things you MUST buy to bring home...

Like i read that in Venice- may Fodorites purchase Murano glass. Just wondering. I leave in 4 days for my 15 day trip. I would hate to find out that I 'forgot' to buy something unique to that region!
TIA

flygirl Sep 21st, 2004 01:07 PM

how about a winged lion pendant, or something else with the winged lion motif?

mamc Sep 21st, 2004 01:10 PM

We got a Christmas ornament (Murano glass) in Venice. In fact, we try to find a pretty ornament in each travel destination.

martytravels Sep 21st, 2004 01:26 PM

A leather or suede jacket in Barcelona AND Cafe Malongo (coffee) from Galeries Lafayette in Paris.

alg Sep 21st, 2004 03:57 PM

We did the same trip this past summer. If you, like myself, are a "purse person", you may want to visit the Longchamp and Herve Chapelier stores in Paris. Better selection and better prices, even with the exchange rate.

In Venice, there are paper stores that sell beautiful hand-painted albums, frames, etc.

SUNSHINE1223 Sep 21st, 2004 05:37 PM

Hey Alg, you are a woman after my own heart. I love Longchamp bags. I now have 7 of them. One for each day of the week. I was just thinking that I want to go to Paris in Nov for a short weekend to buy them. I read in Maribel's Guide that Barcelona has them at the same price as Paris. I might have to check out the Longchamp store in St Thomas on the cruise this holiday.

As for Venice, I have never been there but I would think Murano glass would be good.

Scrapping Barbie- make sure you save everything to make a scrapbook if you are into it. I now have 2 fabulous books on Paris and London. The next will be the Med cruise next May.

Enjoy,Kari

scrappingbarbie Sep 22nd, 2004 06:46 AM

Alg- paper stores in Venice- I MUST go. I am an avid scrapbooker and i NEED to buy cool paper!!!! lol
Any store names and addresses you can refer me to????
TIA

flygirl Sep 22nd, 2004 06:54 AM

you will not be able to help running into paper stores in Venice. they're everywhere.

cmeyer54 Sep 22nd, 2004 07:23 AM

We always buy Christmas Ornaments from places we travel. Another fun thing is to buy a small watercolor from a street artist of a favorite place, bridge, building, etc. Take a photo of the artist with the picture. Unframed, they are very easy to transport back in a suitcase.

LynnP Sep 22nd, 2004 09:33 AM

We generally buy a recipe book from each country at least that we visit. If you don't speak the language, most places will have something in English.

alg Sep 22nd, 2004 10:39 AM

I'm sorry, but I don't remember the name of any particular store. But, there were two stores with a lovely selection near St. Mark's (on the way to the square from the Accademia bridge). Maybe someone else can help with the name?

Eloise Sep 22nd, 2004 11:05 AM

This one is relatively well known (copied -- with changes, Fodor's editors!) from a Web site:

Legatoria Piazzesi , Campiello della Feltrina 2511, San Marco. Located near S. Maria Zobenigo, this long-established paper-producer uses the old wooden-block method of printing; stunning hand-printed papers and cards, and pocket diaries, too.

From another Web site (with changes):

Legatoria PIAZZESI

S.Marco S.M. del Giglio 2511c Venezia Tel/fax; 041 5221202

This bookbinding and decorated paper place was established in 1900. The
proprietor had told me that for some of the decorated papers they actually use wood blocks circa 200 years old.

ira Sep 22nd, 2004 11:09 AM

From Paris, you must bring home a little gold-plated plastic Eiffel Tower. Preferably one that lights up.

crusty Sep 22nd, 2004 12:41 PM

We always buy the art books from the bookstore at the art museum. It started out with a small book in Florence, my girlfriend thought I was crazy. Now we jave a wonderful library. The quality is usually superb, you help a good cause (the museum), they?re great fun read on the plane ride home, and lined up in your bookshelf they trumpet your good taste and love of travel. With every purchase I truly intend to return and use each book again.

And yes from Venice we purchased his/her masks.

From Paris... wine

Michael Sep 22nd, 2004 12:56 PM

If Paris is your last stop, go to a first class cheese shop and buy a variety of cheeses, specifying the day that you will eat them. The shop will vacuum pack them for you so that soft ripening cheeses will not overwhelm your fellow passengers. Then have a cheese and wine party upon your return home.