Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice: August, transport for 1.5 days, and weather ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2009, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

Following a previous post of mine..
I will be arriving Venice on a Thursday morning/afternoon from a cruise on my honeymoon, and leaving on Saturday. I will be staying very close to the train station / Piazzale Roma, since I have a short time in Venice..any tips for the best way to enjoy Venice? I read online that one of the best things to do in Venice is walk around and get lost on the streets I'll probably do that on Thursday, walking towards St Marks! And I'm thinking we can take a water bus or something on Friday... whats a good/ inexpesnive yet fun way of travelling? Would one recommend a 36 hr ticket on a "Vaporetto" thing, or is walking always good and once in a while I can hop on to the water bus and pay the fee one way? i.e. Does one recommend a day ticket or is it really that fun to just take water bus to the center, spend the whole day there / walking, eating, going places - and then come back at night? Or does the average person need a day ticket to move around?

If I do purchase a ticket, can I decide to purchase it then and there when I arrive (is it easy to purchase from any stop?) or should I buy it online in advance?

Also, general feedback...how warm is it in Venice in August?? We're from asian/more tropical countries but personally I could do with some nice 25-or-less degrees temperature! Any personal opinions - is it too hot to walk around or is it fine? Just curious!

Many thanks!!
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 07:39 AM

Yes, wander. Wear good comfortable walking shoes. Eat gelato when you get tired (you'll walk it off...).

One thing the vaporetto is good for is when you realize how far you've wandered from your home base, and you don't feel like wandering that far back.

I can't help you on the weather, we were there in May with perfect walking weather.
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 09:43 AM

It will cost you 6.50 € any time you get on a vaporetto. Since the tickets are activated by validating/stamping them with the time when you first ride, it may be that you don't need a 36-hour pass. If you didn't begin riding until Friday morning, a 24-hour pass would last until Saturday morning.

Another value of the pass: some of the less popular stops don't have ticket windows to individual tickets when you might want to take a ride.

As you can see, even with the 36-hour pass, if you ride four time in 36 hours, you have saved money over individual tickets.

16,00 € - 12-HOUR TRAVELCARD
18,00 € - 24-HOUR TRAVELCARD
23,00 € - 36-HOUR TRAVELCARD
28,00 € - 48-HOUR TRAVELCARD
33,00 € - 72-HOUR TRAVELCARD
50,00 € - 7 DAYS TRAVELCARD
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 09:44 AM

FYI, from the train station to Piazza San Marco is about a 40 minute walk.
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 10:03 AM

You may decide that you don't need to ride the vaporetto at all! In 4-5 trips to Venice, we've only riden the vaporetto to go from our hotel back to Piazzale Roma with our bags (we mostly take a water taxi to get to our hotel). We've never really analyzed it, but we prefer to walk along the beautiful canals.

Looks like you're now spending two nights in Venice; you'll enjoy it. Can't speak to the heat, as we've visited in May and September, when the weather was cooler.

I'm somewhat hesitant to suggest a change in your plans at this point, but you might enjoy your walking more if you your hotel was located closer to Saint Mark's Square. Venice is a small city, but ellenem is right about the walk between the two locations. Ok for strolling, but not so great if you want to stop off at your hotel mid-day, or if you decide to do more walking and less riding the vaporetto.
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 12:11 PM

I've been to Venice a dozen times. On some trips I've ridden few boats; o other trips I've gotten a pass and ridden many times. For a first timer, I would recommend that you ride a boat at least twice to see the full length of the Grand Canal, once during the day and once tat night. Beyond that, it's up to you.