Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Venice August (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/venice-august-405655/)

TedG Mar 2nd, 2004 04:23 AM

Venice August

I have booked to go to Venice for 3 days in the last week of August although this doesn't seem such a good idea having read the comments (It's also the film festival that week).

Need to know what's the best way to get to my hotel from the airport we arrive about 20:00. Can you get passes on the water taxis for 3 days?

Also, Staying at the Do Pozzi hotel (Booked through an agent), but we don't have to pay anything until we leave - Is this normal?

Any other advice would great.

marty Mar 2nd, 2004 04:40 AM

I have been to Venice in August and other times of year and have enjoyed it in all weather! I will be hot, but I suspect you will be hot at home, also, and I would rather be hot in Venice. Be sure you hotel has air conditioning. A water taxi is a private taxi and is expensive. A vaperetto is public transportation and they leave on regular time schedule from the airport. Since are arriving late in the day, you might want to spend the money for a water taxi; it will get you there more quickly. The water taxi stands are beside the vaperetto stands. You can book a taxi or buy a ticket for the vaperreto inside the terminal at the kiosks. I have always paid before check out.I never buy a three day pass for the vaperreto, because I prefer to walk; Venice is a very small, but puzzling, city. It is our favorite place on earth, and while we travel to many places, we always return to Venice once a year.

eliztrav Mar 2nd, 2004 04:45 AM

We did not pay for our Venice hotel, either, until we checked out. And, when we paid in local currency instead of credit card, we were given a 10% discount.

In August, make certain your hotel has air conditioning. I don't know the Do Pozzi. We stayed at the Hotel American on Dorsoduro & liked the location (away from the crowds but close to major areas) and the hotel.

Do you really mean water taxis? Or, the water busses, called vaporetti? I'm not aware of any passes for a water taxi, which is usually a rather expensive option. But, yes, you can get multi day passes for the vaporetti. I believe 3-days is one of the options.

Venice will surely be crowded while you are there, but that usually means crowds in certain areas during the day. Like, Piazza San Marco and the Rialto Bridge. Places nearest the Grand Canal. Still, if you don't mind crowds, film festival time might be interesting.

rex Mar 2nd, 2004 04:55 AM

Have you been able to onfirm dates of the 61st annual film festival - - the oficial Biennale web site doesn't seem to list any, anywhere, and there is a minuscule mention of it being pushed back into the first week of September on the website of the Hotel Danieli.

One leading option for transport fron the airport not mentioned this far is the Alilaguna; I don't know specific info on its schedule, but I am sure you can find it by a search on this forum or on google. Intermediate in directness/comfort/price between a (private) taxi ("motoscafo") and a vaporetto.

Best wishes,

Rex

TedG Mar 2nd, 2004 10:10 AM

Thanks for your responses all helpful, the vaporetti was what i was thinking of but the taxi may be helpful first night.

You'll be glad to know hotel has a/c.

Dates I have for the film festival are 25th Aug to 4th sept but that was from a Thomson brochure. (Not the reason I will going to Venice for though).

Thanks

eri Mar 2nd, 2004 11:21 AM

I yhave just returned from Venice 4 days ago, so my information is quite "fresh":
- The 3 days pass on the Vaporetti cost 22 Euros no matter haw far you go. Considering that 1 trip costs 5 Euros, it is not a bad deal. You will use it!
- Water taxi from the airport costs 85 Euros!!! From the Santa Lucia train station to most hotels the charge might be 40-60 Euros.
- The best way to reach town from the airport is by the ALILAGUNA boat. They charge 10 Euros per person. Very efficient.

RufusTFirefly Mar 2nd, 2004 04:22 PM

No, the best way is the water taxi--nothing like it. But it is the most expensive way as well.