Venice at the end of May into June

Aug 14th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

Venice at the end of May into June

I have a pretty decent itinerary on hold using skymiles through Delta and would fly Air France. I need to decide pretty soon. So far it seems like the dates I can be in Venice are May 27th thru June 2nd. Some Questions I have are:

Is is not yet "high tourist season"

Is everything open like it is in "high tourist season" with normal hours at places like museums and churches. Does the vaporetto run as frequently, especially to the outer islands, like Murano and Burano.

Are hotel rates lower at this time

I guess what I am asking is:
Is everything going in full swing but with a few less tourists than I experienced in August.

Any thoughts about how the weather might be

TIA for your thoughts

Aug 14th, 2008, 08:15 PM

The end of May is high season so everything will be on summer schedules.

No...hotel rates won't be lower because it is high season.

I've never been to Venice in August so I can't answer for the number of tourists but popular areas/ attractions will be crowded in May, especially in St, Marks's Square (Basilica and Doges Palace).
Aug 14th, 2008, 10:34 PM

I have been to Venice during the week you indicated. It sure looked like a high season. Boats to Burano and Murano were full of rowdy students on their field trips from all over Europe. The streets were full of tourists during the day. At least one huge cruise boat came in through the channel every morning.

The weather was pleasant.
Aug 14th, 2008, 11:29 PM

Hight season ! (as already noted above.) July - August is on the other hand often considered middle season so hotels are usually cheaper that May - June.

June 1st 2009 is Whitsun Monday and that should make a little more crowd to the city but not overly unpleasant in my expericece. In order to see the Vogalonga rowing race that takes place on the Sunday of Whitsun, I've been to Venice at that time of year 3 times including last year. If you will be there then, try to see the race's deparuture by Piazza San Marco around 09:00 and/or the return along the canal of Cannaregio around 12:00 - 13.00. That's fun to see those rowing boats of different style (1-man small ones to much bigger ones, constumed rowers and serious ones, etc, very colorful too). Also note due to this, the public traffic of water bus / water taxi on the Grand Canal will be suspended from early morning, perhaps around 07:00 to 14.00 or so.

Search this Thread