Venice at Night..St.Mark's Square.

Apr 29th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Venice at Night..St.Mark's Square.

I've read that in the evening, there's music & singing around the cafes in St.Mark's Square. Is this done all the time? How early should I arrive to get a seat? Any suggestions for a cafe with good seats & reasonable (I know it's Venice!) prices?
Apr 29th, 2007, 09:41 AM
ira

Hi G,

>Any suggestions for a cafe with good seats & reasonable (I know it's Venice!) prices?<

You can't have both.

If you want to sit at a table on the square be prepared to pay about 12E for a cuppa.

Apr 29th, 2007, 09:59 AM

There are the two well-known cafes in St. Mark's Square, the Florian and I can't remember the name of the other (that happens to me a lot these days LOL). Both have orchestras that play in the evening. We had morning coffee at the Florian (only €9 then Ira) so decided to try the other side. We shared the most expensive ice cream sundae we've ever had, but don't regret a minute at either cafe. Incidentally, if you decide to go to either and can't find your check, it's discretely tucked under the cloth on the tray.
Apr 29th, 2007, 10:04 AM
mms

We had drinks and a snack midday at the Cafe Florian. Yes, expensive, but we loved it! It was so nice to hear the orchestras and just soak it all in.
Apr 29th, 2007, 10:07 AM

p.s.: Just remembered I had bookmarked the Florian's website:

http://www.caffeflorian.com/media/valzer.html

Thought you might like to take a look. It also has music so be sure your speakers are on.
Apr 29th, 2007, 12:20 PM
schuba

during the 18th century, there were more than two dozen coffee houses on Piazza San Marco. 2 coffee houses remain from this period -Florians is probably the most famous, situated in Procuratie Nuove, and Quadri which is across the Square in Procuratie Vecchie. both establishments offer a coffee drinking experience in authentic 18th century decor, but not at 18th century prices!

Apr 29th, 2007, 12:40 PM

You'll pay plenty at either of the aformentioned cafes but being in St. Mark's at night is truly magical.