Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Venice at night (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/venice-at-night-579122/)

hopalongmay Jan 5th, 2006 03:10 PM

Venice at night

Hi everybody,,

Finally booked flight to Venice. We are arriving on Friday afternoon around 3:30. Any suggestions for restaurants and what to do late afternoon into night. Are there any tourist attractions that are opened later. I know sunset around that time of year is around 5:30. Any good areas that we can catch a sunset?

thanks, May

traveldawg Jan 5th, 2006 03:16 PM

You may want to try just walking around to explore the city if this is your first night and you have jet lag. There are plenty of great places to find on your own.

mclaurie Jan 5th, 2006 03:26 PM

There are good restaurants all over. It's silly to look for a particular place since you'll probably (hopefully) get lost anyway. Where are you staying?

joearena99 Jan 5th, 2006 03:53 PM

One of the most wonderful things to do in Venice is to watch (for free) the wonderful 3/4 piece orchestras playing outside of the coffee houses in St Mark's Square. I think they begin arount 7/8 pm. There will probably be about 3 - 5 sets of musicians in the square. One will play 2 or 3 songs, then the next one will begin. Grab yourself a bottle of wine from one of the stores near the square and enjoy the performances. If you're ashamed of watching for free, you're always welcome to sit at one of the coffee shops tables. Expect a good bill that comes with the seats.

Romulus Jan 5th, 2006 04:23 PM

check out my recent trip report. The last paragraph or two is about Venice!!

Nikki Jan 5th, 2006 05:39 PM

I don't know when you're going to Venice, but when I was there in March two years ago there were no musicians at Piazza San Marco. Very disappointing, as I had read about them here.

There are evening concerts in a few locations. We enjoyed a concert at San Vidal church, where there were concerts almost every night.

lyb Jan 5th, 2006 05:56 PM

Regarding the musicians in St Marks Square, Nikki has brought up a point that is troubling to me. When I went to Venice one of my favorite memory is sitting at the table, sipping prosecco. When I return this fall, most likely the first week of October, I am looking forward to doing the same thing at least 2 - 3 times.

Does anyone know if there are times of the year when the bands don't play? Maybe in the winter months? would they still be playing in October?

dina4 Jan 5th, 2006 06:08 PM

They play in mid-June until late into the evening.

I think a gondola ride at dusk is something you'll never ever forget. The colors and lighting are amazing. Your photos will come out beautiful!

Holly_uncasdewar Jan 5th, 2006 06:58 PM

They start playing outside at the end of March, beginning of April, weather permitting. They don't play past 6 pm til the end of April. Don't know how long after summer season this continues. I would imagine they're still playing outside during the day in October, assuming good weather.

SusanP Jan 6th, 2006 08:10 AM

I was there Sept 16-20 and they were still playing at around 10:00-10:30 pm.

ira Jan 6th, 2006 08:41 AM

Hi Hop,

I also suggest just walking around. If you find an interesting restaurant, make a reservation.

Also make sure that you have the address and phone number so that you can find it again.

Enjoy your visit.

((I))

sandi_travelnut Jan 6th, 2006 08:49 AM

Except for more touristy restaurants, that may be the time when most places stop serving lunch to prepare for dinner. Just keep that in mind.