Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Venice at Christmas-time (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/venice-at-christmas-time-569185/)

Judy3 Nov 6th, 2005 02:11 PM

Venice at Christmas-time

Hi.
My family and I will be in Venice from Christmas Eve until the New Year. My two boys are 16 and 11. Does anyone have any suggestions for special things to do during the holiday season? We are concerned that many things will be closed but would appreciate any ideas about where to spend time so that we can make this season memorable for our kids.
Thanks!

Judy3 Nov 14th, 2005 01:24 AM

Hello,
Can anyone please make any suggestions as to what goes on in Venice at Christmas? Will everything be closed for C. Eve, C. Day and Boxing Day?
Thanks so much!!

caroline_edinburgh Nov 14th, 2005 03:20 AM

I can only reply regarding the things I did on Boxing Day, when I visited on a day trip a few years ago. St Mark's basilica, Harry's Bar & Caffe Florian were open. The gondeliers were in business. It was extremely cold - sunny & quite cold on the mainland but freezing fog out on the lagoon. We went on a walking tour but the guide kept having to break off to take us into cafes to thaw out.

I would think that any good guide book would tell you which days things are closed, and if there is anything special to see at that time of year.

sallyjane3 Nov 14th, 2005 04:14 AM

Hi, Judy
My daughters (29 and 34) and I spent Christmas in Venice last year. Neither Christmas Day nor Boxing Day slowed us down...even found internet cafes open so we could check on friends in the Tsunami region.

Take the boys to the top of the Campanile for a great view of the city.They might enjoy the gondola ride but I'm thinking they might prefer the speedier water taxi!

Roaming around the city is the best activity for adults. Not sure about teens, especially guys...Maybe a trip to Murano for the glass blowing.

Oh, yeah, the girls and I became teens when we visited St Mark's Square, bought corn kernals and were instantly covered with pigeons. Such laughter!

The next day we experienced acqua alta, which I bet your boys would love. Let's hope it happens while you're there!

Dress warmly. It is cold but the trip is worth it. The weather is very much like what we experience in GA so we were fine (we just don't spent hours walking outside in GA!).
Have a great trip!!

sal

Boleskine Nov 14th, 2005 12:50 PM

We have spent every Christmas and New Yera's in Venice for about 8 years now. There is usually a big Cristmas market in Campo San Stefano, and sometmes an Antique Fair in Campo San Maurizio. The markets around hte Rialto are gratly enlarged too. There are lots of concerts- don't know if your boys would be interested in church or classical music or not, but on 26 December at 4:00 PM there is a free concert in the Frari Church in San Polo. There are posters all over Venice advertising other concerts. Almost every church asaan interesting creche. The Frari has a very elaborate one with lights and moving parts and people. You have to pay to see it, but if you attend the concert you can usually see it for free. One year the Scuola di Carmine in Campo Santa Margherita had an entire exhibit of creches; in Italian the word is presepio. There will definitely be some things closed on Christmas Day and the San Stefano - the following day, but most non-religious tourist attractions are open most of the time during the holidays. If you are there until 6 January, there is a Befana Race on the Grand Canal. If you have windows or spend time on the canal you may see the special red Santa Boat or gondolas full of Santa Clauses. It is fun to take a vaporetto ride at night and see the different Christmas lights and decorations. As in any city, it is fun to walk around and see the different Christmas decorations. There is often a Nativity Scene outside San Marco that includes a Doge figure in a gondola, although last year they either did not put it up or we some how missed seeng it. I especially liked the lions outside the Hotel Ala with their Santa hats and long white beards. Starting right after Christmas there are lots of sales too. Ruth

maryk Nov 14th, 2005 07:54 PM

We were in Venice for all of December last year with our 18 year old, and very few things close except for on Christmas Day. you may find some restaurants shut -but there's still plenty of choice. However, we did notice that a lot of shops (including food shoops) closed early on Christmas Eve and that the streets were very quiet as everyone heads home.
The market in Campo San Stefano has wonderful regional produce and some good quality, inexpensive gifts.
One particular highlight of our Christmas in Venice was attending the christmas morning service at St Marks. From memory it was at 10am ad you enter from the doors on the side (left side if facing the church). They expect (and get) a huge number of tourists and everyone is welcome.
Enjoy your visit.

Judy3 Nov 15th, 2005 01:16 PM

Thank you, all, for your input. I will print this out and bring it along. I feel much better knowing that the city won't be deserted for those few days!
Happy Holidays to you.
Judy