Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice arrival 2:40pm Sunday - what to plan?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2017, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
My flight arrives in Venice (supposedly!) at 2:40pm on a Sunday - assuming we arrive at the hotel by 4:00ish (it is near the train station), I'm trying to think what we should plan for that day given the late-ish hour? One thought is the vaporetto along the whole of the Grand Canal, but thought I'd see if there were other ideas for best making use of the time. We depart Wednesday afternoon, and of course want to be sure to visit the Palace and Basilica. I had been hoping to do the Secret Itineraries tour but it's already booked. I visited Venice almost 20 years ago and this will be my husband's first time.

So, while I'm here for advice, I might as well also ask your preference on tours. I've been pointed to Avventure Bellissime and also Alessandro's Classic. If you had a preference, would you use a tour/walk that includes the palace, or rather something more backstreets?
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 09:14 AM

Taking the vaporetto up the Grand Canal was the first thing I did when I arrived in Venice a few weeks ago - not my first visit, but it was a nice refresher, as it's so beautiful.

The next morning, I walked from the train station (I was staying near there also) to Rialto, but via San Polo -
not along busy Strada Nuovo - through quiet squares with a few locals but almost no tourists. I highly recommend this walk to get off the "tourist trail" and morning is a wonderful time to do it (so probably not first thing when you arrive Sunday afternoon.) The walk is easy: cross the bridge at the train station to San Polo, then turn left soon after and follow the signs Per Rialto.

One thing I didn't get a chance to do again this trip was a vaporetto ride out to Burano, a lovely half day trip with all its colorful houses. (Maybe you did this on your first visit too?) But it's an hour or more each way by vaporetto, once you make the connections, and I was in Venice only one night, so I skipped it.
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, that sounds lovely - love the idea for the back street route. Last time I went to Murano, so this time I would like to go to Burano. Do you really see that as a full half day? I suppose so if it takes 2 hours just in transport...
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 10:58 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Robin, if you include Torcello in your Burano excursion, it's at least ½ a day. the Torcello boat goes from the other side of the very new and grand boat dock on Burano, and only takes a few minutes to do the crossing. From the dock you walk down along the side of the canal to the "main" part of Torcello which comprises the ancient Basilica, a bell tower and a museum. All well worth visiting - the mosaics in the Basilica alone are for me worth the trip.

There are some nice restaurants along the side of the canal - we ate at the Trattoria Attila which was very good, though that was about 10 years ago. We also ate at a place along the main street of Burano which we also enjoyed.

On your way to the Fondamente Nove where you catch the boats for the islands, do take the time to pop into the Chiesa dei Gesuiti on the Campo of that name [just round the corner from the boat stop] and take a look at the curtains and swags. Then look again...... It's only open weekdays in the mornings, but it is well worth working it into your itinerary.

Another activity you might enjoy is an early morning visit to the Rialto market. [not sunday or monday] From about 8am you can see the freshest fish, plus wonderful fruit and veg, all laid out before you. some of the cafes offer a good breakfast too - we found one offering the usual range of coffees, cornetti and fresh orange juice for about €6 each.

hope this helps.
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 12:48 PM

I assume you're flying from the US (?)

If so, you'll probably be a bit wiped out and not up for much touring. A vaporetto down the GC isn't a bad idea. Another restful possibility is to check with the local churches that do Vivaldi concerts. Not sure if they do Sunday evening concerts.
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 01:03 PM

On a Sunday, arriving at 4pm, I would not plan to go too far. You can explore the neighborhood around you instead, have dinner, then save the longer journeys till the next day.

From where you are staying there are many beautiful areas to explore, and Sunday afternoons and evenings are lively. You could walk up to the Ghetto, have a look around and then hit Fondamenta Misercordia or one of the other parallel canals for sightseeing, a beverage, dinner..

If you are into art the Biennale is going on and there is a fabulous multi-story exhibition in the Palazzo Mora which is not too far from the train station. It is only open till 6 so you'd have to go straight away on Sunday but inside you will be able to see not only the art but also the inside of the palazzo which is pretty amazing. http://www.palazzomora.org/

If you want to eat anywhere that is decent and are going soon I would recommend to book in advance or have your hotel do it. Especially on a Sunday night.
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the great advice! We will actually be arriving from London so shouldn't be too tired. Great idea to explore the Ghetto and/or the Biennale. I also like the idea of the concert - I did something similar during my first visit in a beautiful old building and it was lovely.

I was thinking as another idea of signing up for "Alessandro's Classic Venice Bars" tour http://www.schezzini.it/ . I know I could probably do my own bar crawl, but seemed a nice idea to start the trip with some insight and advice from a local. Have any of you taken this tour or heard of it?
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 11:07 PM

I have never heard of that tour but the price is for sure reasonable!
Old Jun 8th, 2017, 04:23 PM

I did that bar tour a few years ago with a group of ladies I was on a painting trip with. Tons of fun!! We learned much more than just how to eat and drink like a Venetian. Highly recommend, since you are coming from London you wont have the jet lag problem of a normal first day. Enjoy...