Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Venice Apartments - Al Campanile Madonna Dell'Orto - Anyone stayed here?
Notices

Venice Apartments - Al Campanile Madonna Dell'Orto - Anyone stayed here?

Feb 18th, 2012, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Venice Apartments - Al Campanile Madonna Dell'Orto - Anyone stayed here?

Found these nice looking apartments on the booking.com website and curious if anyone has stayed in any of them. I am hesitant to book here only because the rental is not via a Venice rental agency that other Fodorites have used but rented by an individual. The owner responded to my email inquiry regarding prices (currently running a 15% discount special) and availability - all three are available when we will be there at the end of March. Payment is via credit card only (so no wire transfer scam!).

The properties are listed on booking.com, airbnb.com, trip advisor and the Venice tourism office website - however, the prices listed on booking.com and airbnb are 10 - 15% higher than what the owner stated - which makes sense I guess, they need to get their share of things. I would prefer to book directly with the owner to save some euros but am concerned that this leaves us vulnerable...

I suppose worst case is we are out a little bit of money and have no place to stay upon arrival in Venice! DH thinks I am over thinking this and should just book an apartment!

http://www.alcampanile-madonnadellor...ng=en&pag=dove
Feb 18th, 2012, 07:11 AM

I've no reason to suppose that these apartments don't exist - the website is a bit elaborate for it to be a con, BUT they are hardly central!

unless you have a particular desire to be at least a 10 minute walk from wherever you want to be, [and often quite a lot more] I'd look for somewhere more central. there are numerous agencies with rental property in Venice. Some of them are run from the US so if you are worried about it going wrong, you would have someone to sue.

perhaps you should look at slowtravel and see some of the recommendations there.
Feb 18th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

anyone else?
Feb 18th, 2012, 01:55 PM

Those are very nice looking apartments. Personally, I prefer renting from the owner directly, as you're never guaranteed the level of service you might expect from an agency anyway. And I've never had any problems renting from owner direct. As for the location, that's a great spot if you want to be off the beaten path, but only a 5-10 minute walk from the vaps on the Grand Canal. Go for it! especially if you're getting a good discount.
Feb 18th, 2012, 03:58 PM

All of those apartments are very nice and the website would give me confidence to book directly with the owner. We stayed in an apartment very near to Madonna della Orta and loved the area, away from crowds, many good restaurants and food shops. It was easy to get to the vaporettos on either side.
Feb 20th, 2012, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reassuring comments - I am in the process of booking one of the units for our stay.
Feb 20th, 2012, 07:50 AM

iowamom - please come back and let us know how it worked out. we are always in the look out for nice and reasonable accommodation in places like venice.
Feb 20th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

I definitely will! We are going at the end of March and we are all excited for the trip - and thankful for DDs 3 week spring break (a wonderful result of moving to a school with a "year-round" calendar.).

Search this Thread