Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice and Florence lodging and transport questions

Oct 1st, 2010, 03:52 AM
Original Poster

I'm planning my October Venice/Florence trip. The current plan is I arrive 16 Oct in Venice @ 14.00 and depart 22 Oct @ 12. I want to take the train from Venice to Florence and visit there also. I thought I'd stay in Venice that Sat & Sun and take a Monday afternoon train to Florence, coming back to Venice Thurs. night for my next day departure. I'm searching the forums for advice but have a couple of questions:

Is it better to stay on San Marco and pay more for the hotel but end up paying less in transport fees? Like getting from the Lido to San Marco, getting to the train station for my trip to Florence getting around in general? I'm a teacher, so budgeting is important but so is the experience. I can find hotels that have decent reviews for under 90 Euro on the Lido and some even below 70. Compared to the minimum 150+Euro per night on San Marco. It's unfortunate that I'm going in what is still considered high season--I thought Oct. would not be--but that's my school holiday so I'm stuck. I did try to book some hotels posted elsewhere but already full.

Must see places in Venice and Florence? I'm not a shopper and I won't have a lot of time, so I'm looking at the historical places, art museums, walks, etc.
Thanks for all the advice!
Oct 1st, 2010, 04:08 AM

This is so confused it's hard to answer. You won't be paying more for travel from the Lido to the train station, the fares on the vaporettos are the same for whatever distance, you can even go to Chioggia on the mainland if you should want to. Look into the passes for various numbers of days, they are nearly always a good deal.

And don't stay "on San Marco," the Pizza S Marco is the busiest most touristy area. Dorsoduro or San Polo are more pleasant and you should be able to find somewhere decent within your budget with a bit of research on this forum. I last stayed at Corte 1321 in San Polo, which was very good for transportation and quiet at night.
Oct 1st, 2010, 04:15 AM

No need to stay on Lido, especially with so little time. Have you checked Venere.com for options?
Oct 1st, 2010, 04:33 AM

Take a look at the Hotel Mignon in Venice.
http://www.mignonvenice.com/

It was one of the hotels I'd considered for my trip of last month, it has availability for your dates. I ended up staying very nearby at a lovely B&B which unfortunately doesn't have rooms available for October 16-18. The location is great, in the Cannaregio neighbourhood, close enough to the places I wanted to visit while also being quiet and residential.
Oct 1st, 2010, 04:49 AM

The Lido of Venice is a beach resort area, not at its prime in October, and nothing like historic Venice at all. I would only stay on the Lido in summer and only if I were more interested in the beach than in the center of Venice.

If you just absolutely cannot find anything you can afford in historic Venice, then the Lido is better than nothing. In that case, you might also check hotels in Mestre on the mainland.
Oct 1st, 2010, 05:59 AM

Take a look at this b&b in Venice - a few steps from the San Toma vaporetto stop. Doubles are 55-85E.

http://www.alcampaniel.com/

To add my two cents I recommend staying in Venice proper.
Oct 1st, 2010, 06:20 AM

I think other can give you, and have given you, advice about budget hotels in Venice.

As a general comment, I wouldn't worry too much about "transport" fees. It's more about convenience.

Paul mentions staying outside of Venice. That's not everyone's cup of tea, but for saving money that is a possibility.
Oct 1st, 2010, 06:33 AM

I think your trip would be more efficient if you trained to Florence upon arrival instead of staying/moving twice in Venice. Prices in Venice are often higher on the weekends so that might be part of your cost/availability problem.
Oct 1st, 2010, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

I agree, kybourbon--I kind of thought about that, but decided against it. Have revisited the idea, and now, I've booked my Florence stay for the weekend, departing Tues. for Venice. I'll find better hotel deals during the week. Thanks!