Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Venice airport for 7am flight (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/venice-airport-for-7am-flight-118493/)

Debbie Apr 16th, 2001 07:25 PM

Venice airport for 7am flight

Has anyone had an early morning flight leaving from the Venice airport? What is the best way to get to airport that early in the morning? We are staying near St. Mark's Square and have a 7 am flight on a Sunday morning. Any advice? <BR> <BR>Thanks!

xxx Apr 16th, 2001 07:33 PM

There are organized swims from the Ospedale vaporetto stop, beginning at 12:30 a.m. for travelers with early morning flights. Most reasonably good swimmers can make it to the airport in about five hours. This is one of the reasons that you are warned to pack light. <BR>

Marty Apr 17th, 2001 04:44 AM

Debbie: We planned on a water taxi, and we kept out just enough money to pay for that. Unfortunately, the lagoon was fogged in. The water taxi came at 5 AM, just as we planned, but would only take us to the Piazelle Roma, the car park. From there, we had to get a taxi, along with about 100 other people! We didn't have enough money, but they took or American dollars. We got on our flight at 6:45, a little too close for comfort for me. If I had it to do again at that hour, I would just plan on a water taxi to the car park (we could have walked from our hotel) and take a land taxi. There is no way to predict morning fog. Don't be fooled at the car park at the promise of a city bus; it never came!

Debbie Apr 17th, 2001 05:48 AM

I have recommended to many a Best Western hotel that is right across from the train station before you go over the water to the islands(6 minutes and 80 cents to the center of Venice with wonderful views coming into Venice on the water). We stayed there and had a 630 am flight also. The hotel arranged the taxi the night before and it was only about 15 minutes to the airport.The hotel was beautiful inside,had a wonderful buffet(American style with eggs,etc.) included in the price and was very reasonable. If you are interested,let me know and I will find my info. Book directly through the hotel as it was cheaper that way.Debbie

Deb Apr 17th, 2001 06:28 AM

Deb, I have had to take that 7AM flight twice but with no problems. There is a dock right at San Marcos for the vaparetto which leaves around 5AM. Check there the day before for exact times. You can purchase your ticket the day before or when you are on the boat. It takes 45+minutes to get to the airport because there are alot of stops so don't be tempted to take a later one. You can have a water taxi pick you up which would go more direct but would be pricey. Depends on if you are on a budget. The lines are always long at the airport at that time of morning for check in but I have made my flight with time to spare.

ellie Apr 17th, 2001 08:44 AM

We faced the same dilemma a couple of years back - asked for advice at American Express in Venice and they recommended Serenissima Taxi - they have a stand on the lagoon near Piazza San Marco - we booked a water taxi for 5 am in advance (stopped by the booth the afternoon before our departure). The taxi was ready for us as promised. This obviously will cost more than the vaporetto, but we felt it worth the expense for the peace of mind it gave us - also was an unbelievably beautiful ride - the dawn slowly rising over the city as we bid our fond farewell!

xxxxxx Apr 18th, 2001 01:16 PM

We had a 6:30am flight to Amsterdam 2 days ago. Took a water-taxi from Castello which cost L220,000 for the 8 of us (incl. surcharge for holiday & early hours) at 4:45am which arrived in Marco Polo at 5:00am. Had to wait a while for our counter to open. Our friends who had a 7:15am flight to Paris, took the 5:00am Alilaguna (sp?) (L17,000/p - 1 hr) and made it to the airport in plenty of time. Apparently, the counter is only open 1 hr. before flight time.