Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice Airport – Best Way to Get There From San Marco Area

Sep 20th, 2002, 12:36 PM
Adria

I have a 6:55 am flight out of Venice’s airport, and am wondering what the best way would be to get to the airport. I sure could use your help.

I know that the possibilities would include water taxi, vaporettos, buses, and any number of combinations. At that time of the morning I think that I will be looking for the most direct and shortest. I already will have to be at the airport really early so time will probably be the key factor. The water taxi will probably be the quickest, but I am looking to compare times and costs, etc.

· Do any of these methods go direct to the airport or do they all have some sort of interim stop where you have to switch to a different type of transportation?
· How long would it take to use each method?
· How much would each method cost?
· Does each method run that early in the morning?

· Here in the states, the airports recommend that you arrive two hours early for international flights. Do I need to get there that early in Venice?

I really appreciate hearing about your personal experiences.

Thanks, Fodorites.

Adria

Sep 22nd, 2002, 02:07 PM
Rex

A lot depends on how many people "you" are. Unless you are solo (which would make this very expensive), I recommend that you have your hotel arrange a water taxi the night before to pick you up at 4:30.

If you are solo (or want a cheaper alternative), you might want to search "Alilaguna" - - I believe that many people have spoken out about it being a good alternative.

Best wishes,

Rex

Sep 22nd, 2002, 08:14 PM

topping

Sep 23rd, 2002, 12:36 AM
Geoff Hamer

There is a schedule on www.alilaguna.com. The first boat leaves San Marco at 0435 and gets to the airport at 0545.

Sep 23rd, 2002, 01:23 AM
Jedi

Water taxis can be very expensive. Your best bet is a water bus. They go right to the airport. It will only cost a few bucks per person and take about the same amount of time as a water taxi ( give or take a few minutes) A water taxi wil cost you anywhere from $45 - $75.
Venice airport is fairly small. You can get there 1 hour before a flight and make it without trouble. but if you are like me, I am always worried that I will miss it, so I give myself the 2 hours anyway. I always wind up with plenty of time to spare.
Bear in mind that Venice ( marco-polo) airport now has a new terminal, ( right next to the old one)and the old one is closed. The new one seems to much more efficient that the old one.

Have a nice trip.