Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Venice airport (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/venice-airport-279372/)

Jo Dec 13th, 2002 10:08 AM

Venice airport

Hope someone can help me. We will be in Venice on or about 23rd April. Where is the Airport located and what is the best way to get from the Airport to a hotel. Also where are the best and most reasonably priced hotels located. <BR>Next question, where is the train station located. Is it right in Venice?<BR>Thanks for any help.

Robert Dec 13th, 2002 10:40 AM

Airport is about an hour boat ride from san marco, for public boat about 15-20 dollars or can take water taxi 75-100 dollars maybe 30 minutes,train station is within venice itself and has a vaparetto(water taxi) stop there.Best hotel is a general question a resonable price for a hotel is about $130/night,I would avoid area near train station and the lido.<BR>I feel it is best to take the public boat to san marco and transfer to stop nearest<BR>your hotel.You need a good map before you get there try a map or travel store.RR

gac Dec 13th, 2002 10:48 AM

The Venice airport is on the mainland, close to Mestre. From the airport you can reach St. Mark's square and vicinity in Venice proper by hourly Alilaguna boat service. www.alilaguna.com Fare is 10 Euros each way and the trip takes a little over one hour. A cheaper alternative is to go to Piazzale Roma car park in Venice by half-hourly ATVO bus for 2.70 Euros each way, travel time approx. 30 mins. www.atvo.it This bus also stops at the Mestre train station before reaching Piazzale Roma, where some hotels are located. Don't confuse the ble ATVO bus with the orange local city bus (no. 5), which also goes from the Airport to Piazzale Roma, but is less convenient for luggage. From Piazzale Roma, you can take one of the local vaporettos to many hotels in Venice for a one-way fare of 3.10 Euros. www.actv.it The closest rail station to the airport is at Mestre. There is also a train station in Venice proper (Santa Lucia Station, near Piazzale Roma). www.trenitalia.com There are many inexpensive hotels located in Mestre. Hotels in Venice proper are more expensive, but more sought after by travellers.

jones brain Dec 13th, 2002 12:10 PM

very simple: from the airport you will find the bus to Venice. I suggest you the hotel Florida (www.hotel-florida.com) within walking distance from the bus terminal/car parking. There is English language TV - BBC World and CNN. Watch out for the step in the shower basin, as you don't see it at first. No I've never seen one like this either! Most staff speaks perfect English and was very friendly. The breakfast waitress is very efficient and friendly; despite speaking very little English, she somehow understands exactly what you want.This hotel is exactly what it says it is, would definitely recommend.

elaine Dec 13th, 2002 01:46 PM

Hi Jo<BR>If you look at the Venice information under Destinations elsewhere here on fodors.com, you will find helpful basic info on Venice which I think you need.<BR>The Fodor's guidebook for Venice is also excellent imo. You will also need a map.<BR><BR>I have a file on Venice; if you'd like to see it, email me.