Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Venice Accomodations for 9 (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/venice-accomodations-for-9-a-763025/)

suzski Jan 22nd, 2009 04:27 PM

Venice Accomodations for 9

I'm in the planning stages of a cruise leaving out of Venice next summer. That much is taken care of. Now, I'm trying to find modest accomodations for the 9 of us pre-cruise. In our group are 2 couples, 2 mid-aged widows, and a family of 3. I anticipate that we will need 4 rooms total and have been thinking about perhaps renting an apartment. It appears that many short-term rentals have a minimum of 3 days and that is fine. I just want us to be able to be convenient enough to transportation that my mother isn't dragging a heavy suitcase through the winding streets of Venice and over 4 or 5 bridges. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

zeppole Jan 22nd, 2009 04:53 PM

How are you arriving in Venice?

Which dock does your ship leave from?

Is there some reason your mother can't pack light and that somebody else can't help her with her luggage?

There are lots and lots and lots of bridges in Venice, and nothing but winding streets. With 9 of us, a water taxi might be very affordable.

Also, if you can't find a well-located apartment, you should check out the possibility of getting a B&B with shared bathrooms.

zeppole Jan 22nd, 2009 04:56 PM

Sorry -- that would be 9 of you!

nytraveler Jan 22nd, 2009 04:59 PM

I'm not sure a water taxi would hold 9 people plus a lot of luggage. We've taken them with 6 plus moderate luggage and there was plenty of room. But 3 more people and enormous luggage might be too much.

If you fit, and can find a place to stay near a dock, that should solve much of the luggage hauling - which otherwise can be 8 or 9 blocks and over several bridges.

suzski Jan 22nd, 2009 05:24 PM

We'll be arriving via plane and it appears that we'll have a red eye flight and a fairly lengthly layover based on flight info I'm pulling up right now for June 09 (we're not travelling til Jun 10). Therefore, I know we'll be cranky and irritable (or at least my hubby will!).

I do realize that it may well be virtually impossible for us to avoid ANY bridges, but I would like to try and limit them as much as possible. When I was in Venice several years back as the dreaded daytripper I saw 2 women struggling to move their suitcases through the winding streets and it was not pretty. We will definitely be helping Mom with her suitcase but we also have a 13 yo daughter and my brother's MIL to assist so that's why I'm trying to negate TOO much walking with luggage. We'll only have 1 suitcase and carryon per person but I know that can feel pretty heavy after a bit.

I am not sure of which dock the ship will depart from (it's an NCL cruiseship) since it is so far out...right now I just know the general vicinity.

Zeppole & nytraveler, do you have any idea of pricing of water taxis over vaporettos? We could always split into 2 taxis if that works better. I believe at this point that we would take the ATVO express and then catch the water taxi or vaporetto for the rest of the way.

Again, thanks so much for your advice. I love travelling and have been fortunate to do quite a bit of it. However, trying to organize things for a group of 9, with different physical fitness levels and budgets is a bit challenging and I can use all the help I can get!

zeppole Jan 22nd, 2009 05:51 PM

My inclination is to tell you to get an apartment or b&b that is a breeze to reach from the airport, so you don't add to your arrival woes.

After a few days rest and exploration, you'll know the best way to get to the dock.

suzski Jan 23rd, 2009 04:30 AM

That sounds like a good idea. Thanks!

ellenem Jan 23rd, 2009 06:25 AM

Why take the ATVO bus and then a water taxi? You'll pay€27 just to get everyone on the bus and then add in the water taxi fare. A water taxi from the airport is about €90. Your group might just fit.

We don't need the exact pier for your cruise--just the general area. Some cruises leave from the Stazione Marittima while others leave from Rivas at the other end of the island.

suzski Jan 23rd, 2009 07:39 AM

ellenem,

Sorry for the confusion...the ship will depart from Stazione Marittima.

As for the transport from the airport, I didn't even realize that a water taxi was an option. I think it would alleviate both transit time and the stuff on/stuff off bit, and any dollar savings would be a plus. Thanks for letting me know about that option.

ellenem Jan 23rd, 2009 08:38 AM

For that departure location, a hotel in Dorsoduro on or near Zattere might be a good option. You'd be close to vaporetto or water taxi for a ride to the stazione.

The €90 euros I quoted for a water taxi...I'm not sure if there would be additional fees for such a large group. And also not positive if 9 will fit in one taxi. Time for you to do some research.

If you were staying in a Dorsoduro location near Zattere, you might even opt for the Alilaguna which is €12 per person from the airport to Zattere and you'd be a short walk from your hotel. €108 for 9 people, and you'd all definitely fit on one boat.

suzski Jan 23rd, 2009 08:50 AM

Thanks for all the great info and tips!

ladylawyer42 Jan 23rd, 2009 09:15 AM

You might want to look into Hotel Ai Mori D'Oriente in Cannareggio. We were able to take a water taxi from the airport to directly in front of the hotel (they have a small dock). When you leave, you could arrange a water taxi to the departure dock for your cruise.

TravelsWithStDavid Jan 23rd, 2009 09:16 AM

Ten of our family stayed in Venice two years ago at The Corte Grimani an apartment hotel that was great, in fact some of us are returning there this spring. It is located between St. Mark's square and the Rialto, so is very convenient to everything. They have a website, just Google the name, I'm sorry I don't have the link for you. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The hotel is located on a small canal that has water taxi access. We took one to a car rental. Itwas actually cheaper than each of us paying for ourselves and our bags on the Vaporetto.

LoveItaly Jan 23rd, 2009 12:37 PM

Hello suzski, here is the website for water taxis that can accomodate up to 10 passengers. They do state one piece of luggage per person, I don't know if the passengers can also have a carryon bag but imagine if they hold it in their lap perhaps they could. You could call the phone number on the website to find out.

http://www.motoscafivenezia.it/boat-en.html

suzski Jan 25th, 2009 02:37 PM

TravelswithStDavid,

That hotel looks lovely! It's rated #3 on the TA website as well and I really like the fact that it can sleep up to 6 people....meaning we could get 2 rooms instead of the 4 we were planning. Thanks for the suggestion.

LovesItaly, Thank you for the website for the private water taxi. I'll email them and see if we can either (split up and take 2) or put all of us and our luggage on 1.

LoveItaly Jan 25th, 2009 03:01 PM

Hello suzski, would you be kind enough to post back when you receive the information regarding the water taxi regarding one piece of luggage..whether that is a total of one piece of luggage per passenger or whether it means a piece of luggage plus a carryon bag per passenger. Thanks in advance!

suzski Jan 26th, 2009 04:48 AM

Will do.