Bus shuttle from MXP to Milan Centrale Station

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2013, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are arriving in Milan on Friday a.m. (7:30) and need to get to Milan Central Station from MXP. I know that the train is the fastest way to go, and that will be our first choice. If we don't make the train, the next one is almost an hour wait. The shuttle buses run every 20 minutes, but if it is anything like NY, the bus could take twice as long as the train so we may be better off waiting. Appreciate any comments on Milan a.m. traffic or the MXP bus shuttle. Thanks!!
Old Dec 9th, 2013, 12:44 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
No one can predict traffic jams.
Old Dec 9th, 2013, 01:04 PM

We have flown into Malpensa many times and always use the Milan Shuttle. There are two companies that take people to Stazione Centrale in about 40 minutes. It is easier to reach the Milan Shuttle located outside of (uscita) exit 2 than walking downstairs to the train section.

Buon viaggio,
Old Dec 9th, 2013, 01:11 PM

No one can predict traffic jams>

yeh yeh but Malpensa is a long long way from Milan compared to airports in most cities - about 35-40 miles if I recall correctly. Trains can get stuck too however or go on strike!
Old Dec 9th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you PalenQ and rbciao. I appreciate your feedback. Kybourbon - having lived in NY and DC, I am well aware that no one can predict traffic jams. I was merely trying to get a little bit of advice from someone who has made the trip before me. Isn't that what this forum is all about?
Old Dec 9th, 2013, 01:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
In the morning there are two trains every hour from Malpensa to Milano Centrale, at :22 and :43 after the hour. FWIW, I think the train is more comfortable, and I like having my luggage with me in case I want to use the time to pack/unpack random items like a sweater, maps, etc. When you ride the bus, your luggage is stowed below and is unaccessible.

If you're not connecting at Centrale to a train heading elsewhere, check to see whether arriving at the Nord Cadorna station in Milan might put you closer to your Milan lodging.
Old Dec 9th, 2013, 01:55 PM

In addition to the bus:

At :26 and :56 of every hour you have trains going to Milano Centrale via one stop and change of trains in Cadorna (4th stop, a hub on the “Nord” train system and on the Metro system), taking 51 minutes to Centrale (36 mins to Cadorna)

At :43 of every hour you have a train going all the way to Centrale (8th stop), taking 54 minutes.
Neither takes or requires reservations.

See www.trenitalia.com - click on Tutti I Treni or switch to English, and see www.malpensaexpress.it/en/
Old Dec 9th, 2013, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you michel!
Old Dec 9th, 2013, 04:38 PM

<i><font color=#555555>"Isn't that what this forum is all about?"</font></i>

Sometimes it's difficult to know what this forum is about. For some, it seems to be a gladiator match. I've never had much patience for the competitive types. For some unhappy others, it's a venting venue. Thankfully, there are a few who actually have some experience and are willing to share. Everyone has an off day, occasionally.

Jean always has some helpful advice, but the last thing I want to do is mess with my luggage on a moving vehicle. My purse, my camera, and my computer stay with me. Everything else stays put until I get settled somewhere.

Every time I exit baggage claim the Malpensa Shuttle seems to be parked at the curb. It seems a no-brainer to step aboard, since it's just a few steps away. I've been to MXP too many times to count. I have no idea where the train is or why I might want to take it. It just seems like more walking with bags, and who wants to deal with that?

I'm never in a hurry to get from MXP to a specific destination. I will not stress myself on travel days. If you absolutely must get to Centrale by a specific time, then I might consider the train. Even though I've experienced plenty of Milan's traffic jams, and the shuttle seems to always take an hour, that's no guarantee. I doubt the train is affected by traffic, so it seems to me it's a safer bet if the minutes are crucial.
Old Dec 9th, 2013, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Sounds like the shuttle is the way to go. Thanks for all of your assistance.