Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Vejer de la Frontera in August (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/vejer-de-la-frontera-in-august-795638/)

danlotec Jul 15th, 2009 06:15 AM

Vejer de la Frontera in August

I have 3 open nights in late August after our stay in Seville that my girlfriend and i would like to book somewhere on the Costa de la Luz - we are thinking Vejer. Can anyone recommend a fairly inexpensive place that is close to beaches (we will have a car) - a pool would be nice. Doesn't have to be Verez but just a quaint little town either on the water or very close to it. We like good food and wine and after doing a lot of sight seeing we want to relax for a few days. After this stop we will head to Madrid for our final leg of our trip.

Viajero2 Jul 15th, 2009 07:28 AM

Vejer is in the mountains, relatively far from beaches. August is not the time of the year you would want to go back and forth from the Andalucian mountains to the closest beaches. I strongly suggest Chiclana de la Frontera or Sancti Petri as far better options for your plan. Chiclana de la Frontera has tons of places next to La Barrosa Beach to choose from. Be forewarned August is the month of the year it seems ALL of Europe goes to Costa del Sol and Costa de la Luz. Best of luck finding suitable lodging within budget. Much better lucjk trying to relax....Try VRBO.com for apmts.

By the way, why do you have a car in Seville??

danlotec Jul 15th, 2009 10:29 AM

won't have one in seville but would rent one in seville to go to the beaches. have you been to spain in august?

amsdon Jul 15th, 2009 11:26 AM

yes it's hot. How about Cadiz?
Look for some of Cahthym's posts re cadiz

Viajero2 Jul 15th, 2009 11:50 AM

Nope, to be more specific, I would not be caught dead in Andalucia in August. Way too hot....which makes the beach idea a great one for thousands of Europeans who are also heading that way.

miguelovitch Jul 16th, 2009 01:03 AM

Sorry, lot's of ill-informed comment on this thread.

Yes, of course, August is hot in Andalucia -- inland. People flock to the Costa de la Luz from the likes of Seville to escape the heat, because it is much cooler being on the Atlantic.

Vejer is not in the mountains, but it is on top of a 200m hill just over 10 minutes from the coast. That altitude and proximity to the Atlantic coast mean the normal summer maximum temperatures are high 20s/low 30 degrees C, and only very occasionally does it get higher. It also cools at night, which is important.

As for the suggestion that you should try Chiclana/Sancti Petri, sorry but you will find a big sprawl of mega-hotels. The coast around there is not as over-developed as the Costa del Sol, but it is heading in that direction.

From Conil south all the way to Tarifa the coast is only lightly developed, but that does mean there is a shortage of accommodation right on the coast, and you have more options moving a short distance inland.

Vejer.com is a very good reference site for the town. Be warned that the summer feria runs from August 10 to 24 and the town is very busy (and lively if that's your thing), but the crowds disappear very quickly after that.

portuense Jul 16th, 2009 02:34 AM

miguelovitch is right - vejer is great for the beaches only 10 mins away...Los Canos de Meca, Zahara beach a bit further away, El Palmar a bit further...all great and some big enough not to be too crowded in summer.
It's a lovely old town but to be honest it can be hot up there at night in high summer, though most boutique hotels/guest houses will have aircon or at least fans. Triperia No 1 www.grupocalifa.com gets very good reports and has a pool; Casa Cinco www.hotelcasacinco.com is lovely but has no pool though the beach is of course not far away. Casa la siesta www.casalasiesta.com has recently opened and has very good reports - it's just outside vejer and has a tranquil setting and v good food. La Casa de Califa www.lacasadecalifa.com is really tasteful and has lovely terraces and gardens and excellent food. Restaurant/bar possibilities in Vejer are as good as any small town in Andalucia - pretty sophisticated and cosmopolitan.

As an alternative you could try Medina Sidonia - really authentic Spanish town 15-20 mins drive inland from Chiclana/Conil/Bahia de Cadiz. Even so it's not that hot if you're up on the hill at night though the days are of course a bit caliente. There's a lovely boutique guest house with rooftop pool and terraces (great views) called Casa de Medina www.casademedina.com and this gives you an excellent base for the beaches, the white villages, cadiz and jerez. they do food there too - the owner is a trained chef.

Another suggestion: Sanlucar de Barrameda at the mouth of the Guadalquivir river. Busy resort but lovely, with the most fantastic seafood, good long beaches, trips to the Donana natural park across the river (also take the ferry and stroll to the quiet beaches), old town full of history and - of course - the home of manzanilla sherry... very busy on Aug 1,2,3 and 17,18,19 when they hold the famous professional horse racing along the beach - but that's really something to see.

portuense Jul 16th, 2009 02:35 AM

One more thing...August is hot but not as hot as July. By Aug things are a little cooler, esp in the evenings. It's a good month to be here if you don't melt at the first sign of the sun

Viajero2 Jul 16th, 2009 02:42 AM

Sorry, but I have done extended stays in Chiclana de la Frontera and been to Vejer many times. Nowhere near 10 mts to the beach (my husband (the driver) is LOL on that one :-)). Areas of Chiclana and Sancti Petri are no different than the whole Costa del Sol, but you are MUCH more likely to find what you are looking for staying closer to the coast, specifically to the towns mentioned as there are plenty areas where there is nowehere near the megabuidlings you see along the whole Costa del Sol. This is from EXPERIENCE, no guides, no passing by, but 20 years of annual trips to that area.

Best of luck.

Viajero2 Jul 16th, 2009 02:50 AM

danlotec-- I plugged in an online map drving estimate between Vejer and El Palmar, which would be the closest beach if you take a straight shot from the uphill location of Vejer-- estimated driving time? 25 minutes. This is estimate without considerations of traffic, etc...so add about 20 minutes (been very generous!). I think I made my point....

portuense Jul 16th, 2009 02:52 AM

Sorry Viajero2 but with improved roads the coast really is 10 mins or so away. IMO you are giving the wrong impression to danlotec based on his post. Chiclana and Sancti Petri - wouldn't go near them in July & Aug unless I had to: traffic is awful anywhere along that stretch

portuense Jul 16th, 2009 03:10 AM

You know what - who cares whether it's 10 or 25 mins...it's not far away and that's good enough surely. The important thing is to give advice about accom, locations etc. This is not Guide Michelin

VejerLuz Jul 16th, 2009 05:14 AM

Hi everyone. Miguelovitch is spot on. Vejer IS only 10 minutes from a great beach (voted one of the top 10 beaches IN THE WORLD by the Sunday Times Travel supplement a couple of years ago), by car, using the secondary and good road from the bottom of the main entrance to the town. Other beaches in the area are only a few minutes farther away. Vejer and its area is a good destination all year round, including high summer -- not as hot as inland Andalucia -- either for a short break of a long stay.

I should know: I've had a house there for some time and visit Vejer often.

And to answer danlotec's original question, I obviously strongly recommend that you stay in Vejer; you will not regret it. I'll be there myself for the whole of August, otherwise you could've used my house...

Viajero2 Jul 16th, 2009 07:56 AM

danlotec-- have a great time whatever you choose to do! All the best for your August stay in Andalucia. Have fun!! I know I am having an awesome summer, so it's all good!! :-D

I have used vrbo.com, perfectplaces.com, and holiday-rentals.co.uk many times for that area with great results so I an more than glad to share on those two sites. They cater to the weekly renter, but I have been able to secure great places for 3-4 nights at a time. Again, ALL THE BEST!!!:-d

miguelovitch Jul 16th, 2009 10:03 AM

If you do choose to go to Vejer you might also try www.escondrijo.com and the relatively new www.hotelv-vejer.com -- which is the top-end place in town but is rather pricey.

ekscrunchy Sep 5th, 2018 04:30 AM

For anyone who has been to Vejer recently, can you offer an opinion on where to stay for a couple ( that wants to be there for a few days, wandering around, painting, and taking day trips by rental car? Budget is very generous. How far out of the town is Casa de la Siesta?