Vegetarian Restaurants in Costa del Sol

Old Oct 3rd, 1999, 05:55 AM
Maureen

Vegetarian Restaurants in Costa del Sol

My husband and I are leaving for Costa del Sol next weekend. I desperately need recommendations for restaurants in Fuengirola and Marbella and the area between which offer vegetarian entrees on their menus. I eat neither meat nor seafood; however, I do eat dairy products. If anyone out there can and will help me, I would really appreciate it!

This website has been a gigantic help in planning our side trips; thanks so much to everyone who has shared his/her knowledge here.

Old Oct 3rd, 1999, 06:20 AM
Maribel

Maureen,
Although I can't personally recommend it, one of my guides to Andalucia mentions Restaurante Albahaca in Marbella on Calle Lobatas #31 northwest of the Plaza de los Naranjos. Description: "tastefully decorated, mid-priced vegetarian restaurant in an ancient converted town house with a patio in the back". Also listed in Marbella is the Restaurante Salvia, at Plaza de la Victoria #3 (east of the Patio de los Naranjos) with recommended dishes of couscous and paella. Again, these are not personal recommendations but instead guidebook listings.
For true vegetarians the Spanish menu can often be difficult to negotiate but look for the following vegetarian items on any menu: "pisto" (ratatouille), the ubiquituous gazpacho, of course, "tortilla francesa" or "tortilla de patatas" (omelettes), "menestra de verduras" (a delicious vegetable medley) and "revueltos" (scrambled eggs in many guises).
Hope this helps!

Old Oct 3rd, 1999, 10:32 AM
Maureen

Maribel,
Thank you so much for your suggestions.
I really appreciate your help!

Old Oct 4th, 1999, 06:48 PM
Cheryl Z.

Maureen, I'm a vegetarian too but I do eat some seafood. However, I just wanted to reassure you that you will find lots of wonderful food to eat while in Spain. I loved all the salads and vegetable dishes, and also found most wait-staff willing to accomodate my needs. Have a great trip.

Old Oct 5th, 1999, 05:33 PM
Maureen

Cheryl,

I really appreciate your input. I now, also, believe that I will have no problem on this trip. I never used to worry about food when I traveled. I was always able to find something, even if it was not exactly what I wanted. That changed when I went to Crete several years ago. I really loved the island; the people there are very warm and friendly. The restaurants in the town nearest to us, however, had almost nothing on their menus which did not include meat; and they did not wish to alter their entrees for me. As a result, I really never had a full meal while there (eight days) - lots of baklava though, and it was outstanding. I will always be glad that I visited Crete. That said, I was, also quite, happy to return to Athens where non-meat dishes were readily available and delicious!

Thanks for your e-mail!