Reload this Page >

Vatican now selling tickets for the Vatican Museum on their website

Notices

Old Nov 10th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is new and I haven't used it. It appears you must purchase withing 5 days of using the ticket.
http://biglietteriamusei.vatican.va/...sita=26&step=2
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

Opps. This is the link to the first page.
http://biglietteriamusei.vatican.va/...isita=9&step=1
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Opps again! I misread it. You can purchase within 60 days. The 5 days is to use your museum ticket to get in the Historical Museum and the Noble Apartment of the Lateran Apostolic Palace .
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 09:26 PM

I have e-mailed the Vatican to ask them what happens when there are children in your party. Reduced tickets for children cannot be booked through this new museum booking system.

There is a statement that says you can buy the children's tickets on the day, however I don't know if this means you then have to queue up to do so - which IMO would defeat the whole reason for booking in the first place!

I'll post their reply here for anyone who is interested.
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

I would assume if you had the ticket code, you wouldn't get in the regular line. You would go to the other door (the one you would use if you had a reservation for a tour), but you would still have to go through security. You might want to ask about the lines also.
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, but the link was to the booking page and the session times out so it no longer works. Hopefully, this link will work without timing out.

http://biglietteriamusei.vatican.va/tickets/index.html

Welcome to the Ticket Office Online of the Vatican Museums.
On this website it is possible to purchase entrance tickets of Vatican Museums online. In this way, it is possible to enter directly skipping the line.
Admission tickets

Information - The cost of the admission ticket is 14,00 Euro + a reservation fee of 4,00 Euro.
The ticket gives you the right to visit the Vatican Museums and the Sistine Chapel for the only day of emission.*

The tickets may be reserved (with a maximum of 10) from 60 days before the date of the visit and they are not refundable.
Select Type of Tour
Purchase the admission ticket online
Note:
* The ticket also allows you to visit, within 5 days (including the day of purchase), the Historical Museum and the Noble Apartment of the Lateran Apostolic Palace according to the respective opening hours.
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 04:42 AM

There is a handling charge of 4 euro per ticket on top of the regular admission price of 14 euro.
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Worth every euro if you avoid standing in the long lines. The Uffizi and Academia museums in Florence also charge 4€ for advance ticket reservations.
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 11:24 AM

The Vatican has replied to me and has said we can just reserve the tickets for the adults using their online system and then we'll be able to buy the tickets for the children, without queueing, on the day. Sounds good to me!
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Great! Let us know if you have any credit card problems booking the tickets. I hope their system is more user friendly than Trenitalia.
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 04:00 PM

Hi Kybourbon - will do. I'll give it a go tonight. As we want to spend longer in the museum than a vatican tour would allow (the tours run by the vatican), do you think that hiring the audio guides would be a suitable substitute for booking a vatican tour (or would you advise booking the tour?)
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 05:00 PM

Booking online was very easy and I had no problems using my credit card.
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Hooray! I think you are the first Fodorite to use their new booking system.

I haven't used the Vatican's audio guide.
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 09:01 AM

I am not sure if we are a Fodorite, but we used website also a few weeks ago without problem which is why we posted the idea on November 6 on Fodors here:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=35165101

The actual link is this one:

http://biglietteriamusei.vatican.va/tickets/index.html

Sorry Ozzie. If we are a Fodorite then maybe there is another Fodor's superlative in your future.
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 10:14 PM

No Motorino, I wouldn't say that you're a Fodorite. As stated in the conditions for using Fodors as a poster "Travel Talk is a place for travelers to converse with other travelers".

IMHO, like all posters from WebVisionItaly, you're an advertiser, not a traveller.
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 06:48 AM
yk

Vernejules - I think you're a bit harsh on Motorino! I didn't see where Motorino advertising his website anywhere - it's just his email address that has a company on it. But his posts ARE helpful and there are no ads pushing for his company.

If you check the post he mentioned which he wrote on Nov 6, 2008, here's the excerpt:

Author: Motorino ([email protected])
Date: 11/06/2008, 04:12 pm

[snip]
Vatican Museum IMO is excellent. If you decide to go, after Sistine Chapel, then go to St. Peter's Basilica. This way wait on one line rather than both. You may make reservation on Vatican website for 4 euro in addition to 14 eruo entrance. [snip]

Old Nov 14th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

yk - Motorino has had more than one screen name and was pushing his website and videos on the other names.

He really didn't bother to even read this thread or he would have seen that I corrected the link (he posted the exact same link).
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 05:50 PM

I think the Motorino is adorable.

Love the videos!

You're a Fodorite in my book WebVisionItaly.
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 11:17 AM

When you get there with your reservation do you just go to the head of the line or is there a special entrance for reserved ticket holders?
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 11:21 AM

You go to the head of the line, and a guard directs you to another, much shorter line to get in, where your home-printed ticket's barcode is scanned. There is an airport-style security check, so allow 20 min or so for the formalities.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO