Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London, Paris, Prague and Rome with 4 year old and 8 month old

Old Aug 13th, 2014, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone, my wife and I are planning our first trip to Europe in November 2014. We've been waiting for a long time to visit Europe, but have not been able to schedule a trip until now. Thought about waiting for the kids to be older, but then again also didn't want to wait so long!

Here's the plan:
London 4 days, Paris 5 days, Prague 4 days, and finally Rome 5 days. We will be flying from city to city, except London-Paris which is by Eurostar.
We'll also be making day trips: Cesky Krumlov from Prague, and Florence from Rome.

The idea is to minimize the changing of hotel rooms (planning to source from AirBNB) and to minimize travel stress. Originally we thought about taking the trains, but the long journey and train changes sounded really tiring, especially when we plan to bring 2 umbrella strollers (prams), and 2 suitcases. I will be carrying 1 backpack too.
We are planning to bring diapers for the 20-day trip. We're from a warm country, so we'll also be bringing sufficient warm clothing. Hence the 2 suitcases

We plan to book the day trips only when we arrive in the city, in case of any unforseen circumstances eg. children falling sick, or too many things to see in the city.

Would love to hear any advice and feedback on our itinerary.
Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 13th, 2014, 08:11 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If I was traveling 1) in November, 2) with two very young children, and 3) for the first time over seas . . . I;d not move so much and stay longer in each place.

You don't know how the jet lag will affect the little ones (or you for that matter). Plus the days will be short and the you may hit nasty weather.

Are those 'days' or nights? To get 4 days in a place you need 5 nights, 5 days = 6 nights and so on. So if your trip is actually only 20 days you will have less time in each place than you may think. So to clarify -- what are the actual nights?

I honestly don't think you need to bring 20 days worth of diapers w/ you. Everywhere you are going actually does have babies who use diapers. They are easy to buy

If it IS only 20 days (17.5 days free on the ground -- I'd do 3 cities max and rent apartments so you'd have kitchens and washing machines.
Old Aug 13th, 2014, 10:16 PM

My advice - forget it until the children are older or travel without the children.
Old Aug 13th, 2014, 10:49 PM

Frankly, I would suggest waiting as well but certainly many people do travel with young children. I agree that you can buy diapers there which will help decrease the amount of stuff you need to carry.

I think janisj's point is a good one. You have allotted a good amount of time to hit the highlights of each city for adult travelers. However, with young children to consider, I would try to limit your stops to three cities at most. I would definitely allow more time at your arrival city as the first couple of days may be more challenging due to jet lag and irregular sleep schedules.

Have you visited Europe before? Have you tried traveling with your children more locally recently? You will likely have a much more pleasant trip if you make sure nap times, play times, playground trips, etc. are built into your schedule.
Old Aug 13th, 2014, 10:54 PM

One other thought: some streets in Europe are still pretty difficult to use with strollers. Does the 4 year old really need one? You might prefer a backpack for the little one and going more at the pace of the 4 year old. When the 4 year old is too tired to walk, it will be time for a break.
Old Aug 14th, 2014, 12:32 AM

If possible, wait until late Spring or early Fall when weather will be nice so -
1. You won't need such heavy clothes and can travel lighter.
2. It will be easier to take the little ones to playgrounds and there is more for them to do outside than in the winter.
3. Going when weather is really warm would also give beach options.
Old Aug 14th, 2014, 12:52 AM

Cesky Krumlov is a long day trip from Prague. Why bring Diapers ,they are available everywhere, just bring enough for travelling and buy them locally.
http://www.livingprague.com/kids.htm
this link will be of use for you whilst in Prague.
Old Aug 14th, 2014, 03:04 AM

Try to pack as light as possible since you will moving around quite a lot. Reconsider bringin two strollers - maybe a carrier and one stroller would be easier. Do you have a toddler harness for the older one? My 2,5 year old son had one when we visited Copenhagen - better than stoller as the child gets to walk himself, but is can be easily stopped if planning anything dangerous.

I can see why you would want to bring the diapers with you, but you can easily buy them as you go too.

Are your flights into London and out of Rome? If so then I would skip Prague to allow more relaxed pace for other cities. If it´s London-London I would only go to London + Paris and make day-trips if you have time.
Old Aug 14th, 2014, 03:29 AM

OK - you are hauling a LOT of stuff with you. Have you checked the luggage requirements of the intereuropean airlines? You will not be able to take most of this on the plane and may well end up paying a lot for extra luggage. Also many require special size luggage - your s may be too large.

Separately, carrying around 3 weeks worth of diapers is close to madness. There are diapers everywhere in the world - don;t consider carrying them. And I too would rethink the stroller for the older child. Or have one to share between them - carrying the young at times in a snugli. Also be aware thatn in many places the sidewalks can be cobbestones or other uneven purposes, making strollers a major PIA.

Agree that you are moving awfully fast for kids this age. And as for day trips - if you mean by bus - do check the rules. Some do not allow infants/small children (who really aren;t interested in the trip and may map the whole thing very painful for those involved). I would do day trips only be train.
Old Aug 14th, 2014, 04:13 AM

This is really an ambitious trip with 2 (probably huge) suitcases, 2 strollers, and 2 young children. I would have chosen a couple of locations that are warmer and less rainy in November. Too much moving around.

Do the strollers have some sort of "awning" to cover the children when it rains?

Bring water proof long jackets with hoods as you won't be able to manage umbrellas.
Old Aug 14th, 2014, 04:27 AM

1 would suggest a week in London then a week in Paris with apartment rentals. You are going to be a zombie your first couple of days and won't really enjoy much of London (we did 3 nights on our honeymoon and don't remember much of it since I was so tired. Not sure if you have experienced jet lag before? It can be awful. If you have been waiting a long time for this trip you want to enjoy it. You can't see everywhere on one trip...it takes away from the overall experience. We are going to italy with our 3 next month...just italy. We want to savor it Who is going to pull 2 suitcases and manage a stroller and 2 children? That sounds like a nightmare. It is harder than it sounds..and buy diapers there an apartment will enable you to do laundry so less packing...November it will be colder and rainier so pack raincoats and umbrellas!
Old Aug 14th, 2014, 08:27 AM

Your itinerary is workable for two adults. It could be workable with two adults and a child in potted plant stage, as the younger would be. But it will not work with a four-year old who will be continually disoriented by what seems to him/her as constant change.

>

This shows that you're prioritizing your wants over what they will require. That will not turn out well at all.

There are also plenty of private vacation apartment websites run by accountable apartment managers (e.g., A Place Like Home for London) and apartment hotels (Citadines, Oakwood) so that using Airbnb, through which you'll have almost no recourse if someone tries to swindle you, is inadvisable.
Old Aug 14th, 2014, 10:40 AM

BigRuss, you are right on target.
Old Aug 14th, 2014, 12:05 PM

I think it is fine to travel with kids, but you need to recognize that what you can do changes. But doesn't everything change when you have kids?

I would recommend cutting down the number of cities as well. With small kids, your pace has to be slower. You spend more time lounging around while they nap. You can't move as quickly when you are out and about. And, you need to work entertainment for them into your day, i.e. playgrounds, etc...

I would definitely bring at least one stroller. It is handy to have to stash things under and hang over. We never had a hard time pushing a stroller around European cities. I don't think you need to carry diapers, but it isn't like they are heavy. As you use them you will have more space for things you buy.
Old Aug 15th, 2014, 04:36 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all your feedback!
Yes we fly in to London, and out of Rome.
We've decided to drop Prague, since it's going to be the coldest of the group.

We're also probably ditching one stroller in favour of a baby carrier for the younger one. The stroller has proved infinitely useful in our many travels as it also serves as a trolley for our stuff.

Is Airbnb that risky? We have travelled to many countries, but this is the first time we'll be using Airbnb.

Which other accommodation websites should we check out if it was Paris and Rome?
Old Aug 15th, 2014, 04:41 AM

Sleepinitaly.com
vrbo.com
homeaway.com
Old Aug 15th, 2014, 05:30 AM

We are staying at an apartment in Paris run by http://www.parisbestlodge.com in September. We haven't been there yet but have heard good things from other Fodorites here.