vatican museum and sistene chapel tickets in advance

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2006, 01:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone successfully ordered advanced tickets for the tour of the vatican museums and sistene chapel? I went to the website and got the fax number - we leave in about 2 weeks - do I have enough time? We were interested in a guided tour.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 04:47 AM

Try this site:
http://selectitaly.com/index.php
We used them for tours in Florence, perhaps they also have connections in Rome.
LisaS
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 02:54 AM
Original Poster

How long did it take to get a fax response back confirming the tickets? Anyone?
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 06:40 AM

If you're doing this to avoid the lines, make sure it works. When we were there, the long line appeared to be to go through security. Once inside, the line to buy tickets was not long. Maybe someone else will know if they guided tour gets you in the door faster.
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 06:53 AM

We faxed the Vatican numerous times and never got a response before we left on our trip. They faxed us on the Sunday before our Monday tour, when we were already in Italy. I read on this forum after we got back that they only fax you a day or two in advance of your tour - so be sure and give them your Rome hotel fax number or ask the hotel to arrange it for you. Some friends had their hotel arrange it and really enjoyed the tour.

We ended up being approached a "broker" on the street who recruited us to join a tour and we got to cut in line, shaving off several hours of wait time. Just something to think about if you don't get your confirmation.
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

It just doesn't make any sense that the vatican would fax it back to your home only 2 days before the tour - I don't know why they don't use email, at least you could get the notice whereever you are. I will be on a cruise ship and do not - at this point know the fax number (I'd have to resend my fax again to give the new number anyway).
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 10:42 AM

Maybe your cruise offers a consierge type service that could help? We faxed the Vatican numerous times because we didn't know about the response issue and weren't sure if we were faxing to a black hole or what.

Another option is to book a private tour, if you search this board several companies are regularly recommended and its about 12 euro more than the Vatican tour. I don't know if that would help with the wait time though.
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 10:48 AM
MaureenB

We successfully received a confirmed tour from the Vatican, but it was received on Saturday morning for our tour the following Monday afternoon. They are notorious for working that way. Who knows why. Not convenient, but at least it worked and it's inexpensive and the only way to get a guaranteed entrance time that I know of. It saved us probably 4 hours in line for the Museums and St. Peters last May.
I also faxed to the Vatican about three times, because you do not get a response until a couple of days before your tour. I wonder if some people don't get a tour at all? I guess it could happen, in high season.
Maybe fax again, giving them a fax number where you could be reached a few days before your tour requested date, or the fax number of a friend who will be in touch with you and can forward it to you. Because you will need the printed fax from the Vatican, as your entrance ticket. They also ask for IDs.
It's a pain, I know. But if it works, it's worth it. Can you schedule another tour, then cancel it if need be? That way you'd have a back-up plan in case you don't reserve directly with the Vatican.

Old Jul 26th, 2006, 02:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I tried in vain to get through to the vatican fax number, and eventually gave up. THat said, if I was going again, I would try for the vatican garden tour, as it's the only way to get in, so I gather. but the "system" seems crazy - I suppose that it limits the numbers simply by weeding out everyone except the most persistent. [or lucky?]
THe message seems to be to ask for a tour soon after you get there, or use your hotel fax facility. I did find an agency that would book it at a price, but I can't now remeber the details. Sorry!
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 03:59 PM

I also read that the Vatican does not respond except by fax two days before. Since we aren't staying at a hotel, this was not an option. Our hostess in Rome suggested Ariletum tours. The cost is 44euro per person and includes entrance fees and a guide. You can't get much better than that for price. I figure if the tour is terrible, I can cut loose and go around on my own once I am in. The tour does have some good reviews on the web though.
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 04:00 PM

Sorry that was Argiletum Tours.