Vatican church services on Sunday?

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 10:44 AM
Sonnie

Vatican church services on Sunday?

Has anyone here attended a church service at the Vatican? We will be in Rome on a Saturday and Sunday and we were hoping we would be able to catch at least part of a servce there. Are there services there every Sunday? What about times?
Thanks!

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 11:38 AM
onycomosis

Yes there is church service in St Peter's. However, be forwarned that it is extremly crowded. Also, we were told services occurred every hour on the hour by several people (including the guards in St. Peter's). However, the service we attended actually began at 10:30. I do not know how you can obtain acurrate information.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 11:39 AM
Ed

I'm sure mass is said within the Vatican, but only for officials/staff/residents and invited guests.

Perhaps you're thinking of a service at St. Peter's? There are a number of masses celebrated in the smaller chapels. I believe mass at the high altar is reserved for masses celebrated by the Pope.

Perhaps the North American Visitors Office can provide more info on the schedule of services at St. Peter's.
[email protected]

twenj

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 12:01 PM
Sonnie

Thank you both very much. Yes, I guess I do mean St. Peter's. My husband is Catholic, plus he's been to the Vatican before, so he knows a lot more aobut this than I do. Thanks for your suggestions.