Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Vatican and Scavi Tour advice (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/vatican-and-scavi-tour-advice-604712/)

Annika1 Apr 3rd, 2006 09:11 AM

Vatican and Scavi Tour advice

My husband and I will be spending 4 days in rome and plan to spend an entire Friday at the Vatican musuem, St. Peter's and the Scavi tour. However, I just recieved confirmation for the Scavi Tour on Sat at 3pm. I'm really excited and relieved to get the reservations, but it does complicate my plans.
Here's where I need some assistance;
I have planned the Borghese & Capitoline museums for Sat, would it be crazy to keep the same schedule but return to the Vatican on Sat. for the Scavi tour or should I flip flop days?

Thurs
arrive 8 AM
explore Ancient Rome area
Colosseum
Roman Forum
Fri
Vatican
St. Peter's
Castel Saint Angelo
Sat
Burghese
Scavi
Capitoline
Sun
Daytrip
Pompei or Catacombs
Mon
Pantheon
Jewish ghetto
take train to Florence early evening

We want to see as much as possible while leaving time to wander, eat and just enjoy our trip!
Any advice??

chris1234 Apr 3rd, 2006 09:23 AM

I cant really help you with your itinerary but i was wondering how long it took before you got confirmation on the Scavi tour and how far in advance you requested.

peppermintpatti Apr 3rd, 2006 09:38 AM

Hi Annika! I am guessing from your excitement at getting the Scavi tickets, that the Vatican is going to be a highlight of your trip. On my last trip, I found that I never tired of St. Peter! So you might want to go back a second day anyway. I think your schedule is reasonable. I might flip-flop your schedule for Friday though, because as many have recommended here, the lines for the Vatican museums are shorter in the afternoon. I have not been to the Capitoline museums, will they be open that late into Saturday? Also, I'm sure you know this, but get reservations for the Borghese also. Have a wonderful time!

Annika1 Apr 3rd, 2006 04:09 PM

The reservation was confirmed much faster than I thought. I sent a request email on March 15th and just recieved the confirmation today.

nonni97 Apr 3rd, 2006 04:38 PM

For those out there who are wondering about getting Scavi tickets: Our group of 6 requested, on February 13th, a tour for the 3rd week of May. On March 22 we received confirmation giving us our 1st choice of dates. All correspondence done using their e-mail address.

Woody Apr 3rd, 2006 07:22 PM

We just spent a week in Rome. I recommend keeping your current schedule with the following changes:

1. Thursday: Colosseum, Roman Forum, and ADD Capitoline Museums in the afternoon (it's open until 8 p.m.).

2. Saturday: Borghese Gallery at 9:00 a.m. (it's limited to two hours), ADD Campo di Fiore to wander and have lunch, then Scavi Tour at 3:00.

Woody

AllisonK Apr 6th, 2006 11:13 AM

I made my request for scavi tickets on March 19 and got my confirmation today, April 6, for a tour on May 12. So my original request was almost two months in advance of my tour date. But I also gave the ufficio scavi a two-week window of time in which I could take the tour. I'm so happy I got in!

Waysie Apr 8th, 2006 08:57 AM

how much would a scavi tour cost for two people? It sounds very interesting, and my daughter and I would really like to take it.

almesq Apr 8th, 2006 09:19 AM

Scavi tour is very inexpensive, around 10 Euro per person.

TravelGal26 Apr 12th, 2006 04:37 AM

I sent my request on January 9 for June 7-10 time period and only received my e-mail confirmation so far! I really want to do the Scavi tour - any other options?

AllisonK Apr 13th, 2006 12:25 AM

Hi TravelGal,

I'd wait a bit longer. If you don't hear from them by mid-May you should assume that you don't have a spot (I think they are currently saying that if you don't hear from them before 20 days before you will be there then you don't have a spot).

SJREED Apr 19th, 2006 03:05 PM

I took the suggestion at the website and faxed my request on Monday, April 17th for May 20th.

They requested my hotel telephone number for confirmation. Does that mean I will not know until I arrive in Rome if I have Scavi tour tickets?

Any other ideas?

Also, what is the best company to use for the Vatican Tour?

Thanks everyone!

ItalyLove Apr 27th, 2006 07:04 PM

SJREED
Did you fax your reservation to the SCAVI office?

chris1234 May 11th, 2006 09:57 AM

For the record, i put in my Scavi request on 11/22/05 for 06/26-28/06

and just got the confirmation.

jamesandi May 11th, 2006 10:40 AM

Scavi tour is the best tour you will ever take in your entire life.

It is better than you will ever expect.
Savour it!!!

Have a wonderful time!

Amart May 13th, 2006 08:23 AM

The Scavi tour (including the paperwork) will take you a bit more than an hour. I would go on Sat after your other museum tours. No need to do the Vatican and Scavi on the same day--