vatican

May 31st, 2006, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

vatican

Is a private tour guide the best way to go? For a family of 4 I have been quoted 300 Euros and up, not including entrance fee.
May 31st, 2006, 05:27 PM

Of what - St Peter's, the Museums, the grounds/gardens, the crypt?

We did everything but the behind the scenes ourselves - and with a decent guidebook it's fine. The behind the scenes you can do ONLY through the Vatican tour office - no private supplier has this. We just contcted the Ufficio Scavi.

(Some people say you don't have to wait on long lines at the Museum if you do a tour - but we never saw long lines - I think since we didn;t go at opening when the tours often do.)
May 31st, 2006, 09:41 PM
jgg

You will get varying replies on this. We did a tour guide for the Vatican which included the Vatican Museum, Sistene Chapel, St. Peter's and Castle St. Angelo. We went with Context Rome and thoroughly enjoyed our guide Sara. We were travelling with our kids (age 9 and 12 at the time) and she pointed out interesting things for them as well. I would recommend a tour guide for the Vatican as well as Colesseum and Forum.
Jun 5th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

We are staying at the Sofitel Roma and the concierge arranged a guide for 55E per hour, 3 hours minimum for the four of us. (a lot less than other companies.)

Search this Thread