Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   VAT Tax refund on Online Purchase Shipped to US?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/vat-tax-refund-on-online-purchase-shipped-to-us-1477883/)

ekscrunchy Sep 29th, 2017 05:10 AM

VAT Tax refund on Online Purchase Shipped to US??

I have my eye on a handbag, from Spain. The price in Spain is, obviously, less than the price in the US.
But could I also take advantage of the VAT refund, or would the VAT not be charged if the item is to be shipped to the US by the store? (If I buy it in Spain I have to get the tax refund at the airport; I am headed there next month but not going to a city with a store selling this handbag, although they have a store in Madrid airport. But who knows if they will carry that bag at the airport store).

Shipping is free to the US from Spain.

I'd appreciate any comments!! Even If I do not end up making this purchase, it will be helpful for the future, I think.

Thank you!!

vincenzo32951 Sep 29th, 2017 05:37 AM

I thought the VAT got removed when the shipping destination was outside the EU, but I can't say I have any verification for that.

BritishCaicos Sep 29th, 2017 05:44 AM

That's correct.

For non EU shoppers the store can remove the tax, in our experience.

The store st the airport may have a hugely inflated base price.

BigRuss Sep 29th, 2017 06:17 AM

Online retail purchases sent to the US should not include VAT. I've ordered various items from the UK and the VAT comes off the price when I put in the destination (some places list "exc. VAT" prices too).

hetismij2 Sep 29th, 2017 09:58 AM

There is no obviously to the price in Spain being lower than in the US even exc VAT. Very often the self same thing is cheaper in the US even if it is made in Europe and sold here too.
I don't know if you have to pay any taxes or duties in the US on it, but check that out too.

marvelousmouse Sep 29th, 2017 10:34 AM

I have no input, but what purse is it? I love purse shopping and I have been hunting lately:)

ekscrunchy Sep 30th, 2017 03:56 AM

The purse costs much less in Spain. I checked this out already. It is from Loewe--navy and black hobo style called something like "colorblock." Also comes in red. Price is ridiculous even in Spain!

ekscrunchy Sep 30th, 2017 03:57 AM

Thanks everyone, for your help!

Forgot to say that, above!

janisj Sep 30th, 2017 05:40 AM

You won't be charged VAT -- but you most likely will be charged substantial duty in the States.

ekscrunchy Sep 30th, 2017 05:54 AM

Why would I be charged substantial duty? I have never been charged in many years of shopping things home from all over the place. And what is substantial? Ten percent?

Do you know this from personal experience or is it a guess?

MmePerdu Sep 30th, 2017 06:10 AM

If you buy from a retailer that ships regularly out of the EU they'll know to subtract the VAT. But smaller merchants don't always know it or, otherwise, do it. So if it's a smaller one make sure there's an understanding before you buy. I've had to convince a shop person that it's correct to do it and then only after they conferred with management not on the premises.

janisj Sep 30th, 2017 06:54 AM

>>Do you know this from personal experience or is it a guess?<<

From much personal experience . . . Buying things in Europe since the 80's. Way back in the day when most things were delivered by USPS, I'd get a card in my mail box and have to go in person to the P.O. and pay the duty before I could collect the package.

But few have been on line so maybe that will be different (?) I mostly buy on-site and have the merchant take off the VAT and ship it to me. Also - not all types of merchandise will be assessed. The last 6 expensive things I've purchased (over maybe the last 8 years) were all delivered by DHL and 4 or 5 times I was billed for import duty by DHL. One of them - the item would not be released out of the LA processing center for shipment to northern CA, until I had first paid. But that was a VERY expensive item and the duty was substantial.

Kathie Sep 30th, 2017 08:07 AM

My experience is that if you have an item shipped, you will have to pay duty. If you carry it back yourself, you'll have the $800 exemption (for each person in your party), so I've rarely had to pay duty on things I brought back. Typically the duty is 10% of the amount over the exemption (up to $1000) when you are bringing something back with you. When you ship something, you don't get the $800 exemption, so you pay duty on the full value of the item.

janisj Sep 30th, 2017 08:33 AM

>> I mostly buy on-site and have the merchant take off the VAT<<

Just to clarify -- I meant I typically buy on-site in a shop . . .not on a <i>web</i> site.

Robert2016 Sep 30th, 2017 08:42 AM

The only people I know who receive packages from Europe (via Fed Ex or UPS) have to pay duty as it's normally commercial goods.

It may be different if it is sent through the postal service, where they only have to declare a value when sending the package. We've never had a problem when things arrive by mail.

janisj Sep 30th, 2017 08:48 AM

Robert2016: An expensive Loewe bag almost certainly would not be shipped via USPS.

(I do occasionally get things delivered by FedEX, but IME the vast majority of shipments from Europe come via DHL -- which may make sense because it is a European owned courier)

ekscrunchy Oct 2nd, 2017 08:12 AM

I just remembered that I had cookware shipped over the years, most recently this past summer. I use a German online site. They subtract the VAT. I never paid duty but surely every case is different. If any one is interested in European cookware let me know!

Might take a chance on the purse since the US price is too high for me. Thanks everyone. Will let you know what occurs if I take the leap!

Robert2016 Oct 2nd, 2017 08:58 AM

Couldn't be more expensive than the price of the "Total Experience" at Atrio in Cáceres, or could it?

Cathinjoetown Oct 2nd, 2017 11:47 AM

On several orders over the years, whether or not duty is charged by U.S. Customs has been hit or miss. I'd guess I've been charged roughly 60% of the time.

The worst was French customs when I lived there, 30€ on a pair of $100 shoes from the States and a second time when a friend sent some of his own sketches, packed in a $15 IKEA frame to protect them. The French Poste didn't even notice the sketches but came back the next day wanting 38€ for the frame. I tried to get them to take it back but they wouldn't because it had been open.

I would look up what the worst case duty might be on the bag so if I were charged at least there would be no surprises! Love Loewe, is there any place in Spain you could have it shipped?

aliced Oct 2nd, 2017 12:07 PM

If you want to take advantage of the price in Spain buy it there; the shipping will at least equal the savings in VAT so bring it back with you!