Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Vat tax added to hotels in Paris? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/vat-tax-added-to-hotels-in-paris-175397/)

david Aug 14th, 2001 09:06 AM

Vat tax added to hotels in Paris?

In addition to the five or six FF per person, per day on hotel rooms in Paris, is there also a VAT added? Thanks.

elaine Aug 14th, 2001 09:14 AM

There is a large tax included in the bill, I don't know if it is technically called a VAT or some other tax name, but I know you can't request a refund on it.

Katherine Aug 14th, 2001 09:17 AM

This is a good question. From my research it doesn't appear that there are vat taxes on hotels in France. <BR> <BR>I have a follow on question. Has anyone successfully recovered VAT taxes? For example, in the UK they are 17.5% which can be significant when you are paying $200-$300 for a hotel for a couple or few days! But the process to get the money back seems almost like trying to get those tricky rebates, where you're always missing some obscure element. Advice here would be appreciated! <BR> <BR>A website for determining what VAT taxes are recoverable can be found at: <BR> <BR>http://www.corporatevat.com/vat/country.asp

JOdy Aug 14th, 2001 09:17 AM

There is a VAT in addition to the 5-6 FF per day, but this is almost always included in the room rate quoted whereas the 5-6 FF will be added to your final bill. Neither can be refunded <BR>In France it is 19.75%or maybe 19.5 I forget

mikey Aug 14th, 2001 09:21 AM

VAT can be claimed and refunded for goods purchased (clothing, art, etc.) not services (hotels, food, etc.). Most hotel rates quoted in Europe include VAT.

elaine Aug 14th, 2001 09:32 AM

Katherine, I have never had a problem receiving a VAT refund on purchases from <BR>France, England, or Italy. It takes a while, but it does come through <BR>(for me). In all cases but one, it came as a credit on my credit card; on one occasion it was a check which was costly for me to cash. <BR>I allow a little extra time at the airport on my way home in case there is a line at the VAT desk, and you have to remember not to pack the relevant purchases in your checked luggage in case the agent at the airport wants to examine the goods.

coco Aug 14th, 2001 10:12 AM

I happen to have the bill for Hotel du Louvre from last week here on my desk. The TVA taxes are as follow: <BR>The Room=5.5% <BR>Food & Beverage=19.6% <BR>The room taxes are included in the price quoted. Neither are refundable. <BR> <BR>I don't know about the 5-6FF added to the bill. I don't see any thing on this bill and have not noticed this charge before. What is it for??? <BR> <BR>

Katherine Aug 14th, 2001 10:14 AM

Thanks Elaine, I guess I will have to be less lazy and get IN that line at the airport! :) <BR> <BR>Incidently, VAT taxes ARE recoverable on hotels in the UK. <BR> <BR>

taxman Aug 14th, 2001 10:32 AM

At the risk of starting a trashing contest.. VAT on services ( hotels, restaurants and auto rentals) are NOT refundable in any EU country.

Christina Aug 14th, 2001 10:53 AM

I've never seen a hotel in France not include the VAT tax in the quoted rate, although sometimes they don't include the 5-7F/day per person room tax (6F in a 3-star hotel) in the qutoed rates (I believe it is a local, city tax). Any hotel should specify in rate quotes if that city tax is or not included in the rates; if it's not noted as to inclusion and espec if the VAT is not included in the rate quote, I would be very leery of the hotel as they sound devious. If the Hotel du Louvre is in Paris, I think that city tax should be on the bill; it is itemized separately on all hotel bills I've received at checkout in Paris, but maybe if it's included in the rate they don't legally have to itemize it on your bill, I don't really know. Their web site doesn't even quote any rates, I don't like that. Down in Provence, I think that daily city tax rate is slightly different than in Paris, I think it starts at 4.5F rather than 5F.

Alec Aug 14th, 2001 01:50 PM

In my experience, TVA is almost always included in the quoted rate. The per person tax, usually referred to as taxe de sejour (visitor's tax) is sometimes included, sometimes added at checkout. Since it's rarely more than 5-6 F per person, it doesn't make much difference. As for reclaiming VAT on hotel rooms, as far as I know, you can only do so if you (or your firm) are travelling on business and you (or your firm) are registered for VAT in an EU country. In the UK, you must have a VAT invoice from the hotel when making your quarterly VAT return to Customs and Excise. This is totally separate from reclaming VAT for purchases by non EU residents.

coco Aug 14th, 2001 02:27 PM

Christina, <BR> The web site for Hotel du Louvre does quote rates, under the Reservations function, just fill in some dates. <BR> <BR> My confirmation clearly indicates that all taxes are included--and the total on the bill for 3 days is exactly as quoted. It would appear that the TVA is the only tax that needs to be broken out (which is in a separate section at the bottom of the page). As it didn't affect the total, I didn't pay too much attention until I saw this posting.

mikey Aug 14th, 2001 05:28 PM

Thxs Alec, <BR> <BR>I didn't know that about business traveller's being able to get hotel VAT back.

Katherine Aug 14th, 2001 07:28 PM

Tax Man, Not a trashing session, but if you look at that website I referred to earlier it indicates that VAT taxes are 100% recoverable in the UK. It appears to be the only country where that is the case.

taxman Aug 15th, 2001 02:26 AM

katherine. the refunds on hotels and services do not apply to individuals only to companies doing business who are registered in a EU country. You must be traveling on business for your registered firm to apply for a refund.

mikey Aug 15th, 2001 06:03 AM

Katherine <BR> <BR>I went to that website and as Taxman said, it is only for what businesses can claim not individuals on vacation