Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   VAT refund for LV (first time buying abroad) (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/vat-refund-for-lv-first-time-buying-abroad-773525/)

3sica Mar 17th, 2009 04:37 AM

VAT refund for LV (first time buying abroad)

Intending to take advantage of the lower prices in Paris/London for my LV shopping. (Singapore is apparently more expensive :P)

I know the boutique will fill in the forms for you, but upon reaching the airport, should I be looking for the Tax Refund office before or after passport control?

Assuming that I buy in London - I will be taking the Eurostar to Paris. We will subsequently be leaving France from the Nice airport and changing planes at Heathrow.
Should I get everything stamped at the Nice Airport or I can do it at Heathrow (I will have a window of 4 hours in Heathrow before my next flight home..)
If I buy it in Paris or Nice, I should then do the necessary at the Nice airport?

As for opting for cash/credit refund, I assume that if you had paid with cash, you will get the refund in cash and likewise for credit cards?

I hear of a restriction for LV purchases, 3 per passport. Does that extend to even the small goods like wallets, keychains, scarves or just the bags? (I have a long shopping list from people back home!)

First timer for doing this so... I am really out of my depth...even after reading so much on the net and this forum. Sorry for the long post....

ekscrunchy Mar 17th, 2009 04:56 AM

Before passport control. Make sure to have the goods in your carry on so they can see them-sometimes they look and sometimes they do not.

If you pay with CC you can take the refund in cash or credit card. I always take the cash. I've never paid with cash so cannot help there.

If you buy in Paris you can do this at the airport in Nice when you depart France.

My guess is that only the bags are restricted; based only on reports I've read about quotas for certain tourists. (I do not own any LV myself; those ubiquitous LV bags, or anything with obvious monogram, are considered a bit gauche by some where I live)

Good luck!!! I am sure someone else here can help out with the other questions..

flanneruk Mar 17th, 2009 05:19 AM

The official rule on VAT refund is that:

- if goods are in your hand luggage, they must be presented to Customs at the last EU country you take a flight at when leaving the EU: so if you're flying Nice-London-outside the EU, that means in London
- if goods are in through-checked baggage, they must be presented to Customs when you start the journey that will; take you out of the EU <b> before checking your bags in </b> For a Nice-London-outside the UK, that means Nice (if your bags will be through-checked)

You can't get VAT refunds at a Eurostar staton, since the trains all stay within the EU. Note that on a Nice-London-Singapore flight, there's no passport control in London.

http://tiny.cc/GdIhs

3sica Mar 17th, 2009 05:29 AM

ekscrunchy - thanks... i hope they will turn a blind eye when they see my passport (we all know that particular group of tourists that they reinforce the limit on is from Asia, and I probably look like them to any European)

flanneruk - i will be flying Nice-London-Dubai. You have caught my cause for concern. Since this is a transit flight, I do not know where I should do the Tax Refund. Is there a Refund Office within Heathrow (after passport control) since I may not be required to exit and re-enter for my flight back to Dubai. If not, I will be forced to do the refund in Nice, which is technically not my last EU stop???

Guenmai Mar 17th, 2009 07:10 AM

3sica-Yes, you need to have the detaxe papers stamped at the last EU destination before flying home.

One year I bought LV in Paris, but was flying home from Copenhagen. I went to the tax office at the airport in Copenhagen and had the papers stamped.

As for limits as to how many pieces of LV one can buy, that I haven't heard of before. But, I definitely remember when there was obviously no limit, back in the day when the main LV store, in Paris, was on the Avenue Monceau. There would be up to a 2-hour wait, in the 80s, for a salesperson and Japanese tourists would have piles, and I mean ...piles... of LV on the tables for purchase. I'd never seen anything like it before. I used to shop at that store regularly and thank goodness I had the same salesperson for years and didn't have to wait the horrendous lines if she was at work.

Don't forget to check out the epi leather items. I mostly buy epi-leather as I like the different colors. Plus, if you don't want the LVs on the item, there are non on epi leather and some of the other, non-epi leather models. Happy Travels!

3sica Mar 17th, 2009 07:18 AM

If I have to get the detaxe papers stamped in the last EU country, it would mean London right?
However I am doing a transit... how would I get it stamped when the Tax Refund offices are outside? (I believe I am supposed to stay inside arrival/departure area for the 4 hrs until my flight leaves for Dubai?) Or is there one inside the airport security area itself?

I am probably going to buy a few (no thanks to the LV fanatics back home) and getting the detax is going to make a great difference!

flanneruk Mar 17th, 2009 07:46 AM

I don't understand your question. Where are you carrying your goods?

3sica Mar 17th, 2009 08:52 AM

I am going to carry the goods back to Dubai (I am Singaporean, but I reside in Dubai)
Will be flying out of France from Nice, with a transit at Heathrow back to Dubai.

So. Doesnt't matter why I buy, in London or Paris.
When I buy my stuff, am I allowed to do my vat refund at the Nice airport?

If I can only do it at Heathrow (since I am leaving EU from there), is there a tax refund office within the arrival/departure hall?

3sica Mar 17th, 2009 09:27 AM

hi Guenmai, I still see the Japanese phenonmenon now and then in Singapore, recently China tourists seem to have joined the ranks as well... in Dubai, it happens with the abaya-clad rich locals, they walk around with tons of paper bags, Celine, Gucci, Chanel, LV on the same arm!
I have always been a monogram gal...hmm i wonder if i dare to walk into Chanel (of coz I do, but my husband will probably break into cold sweat!)Do they sell Chanel accessories together in the same store as the bags? I am always a little intimidated by Chanel...

Guenmai Mar 17th, 2009 09:35 AM

Many years ago, I remember seeing Chanel accessories and bags in the same boutique. Don't be intimidated, just strut on in. Smiles. Happy Travels!

flanneruk Mar 17th, 2009 09:44 AM

Have you actually read my earlier explanation of the rules? Or my second question?

Are you REALLY going to carry all these things in your hand baggage?

Yes, there are Customs offices airside at all Heathrow terminals. But with the amount you're talking about buying, you won't be able to use them.

ekscrunchy Mar 17th, 2009 09:45 AM

3sica; Don't worry too much ahead of time about all these questions. My guess is that the salespeople where you purchase the items will know all the details..just do not forget that they might want to see the purchases at the airport.

Forget that bit about being intimidated at Chanel. You are a potential customer! Just pretend that you are not intimidated! Do you think those abaya/niqab ladies feel intimidated?

3sica Mar 17th, 2009 10:09 AM

flanneruk - yes i read thru them, thank u.
I was just worried about whether i would be able to find a tax refund office INSIDE. No worries about carrying all my purchases, i have limited them to wallets and pouchettes, no big bags except for myself hahaha.

thanks guenmai, ekscrunchy.
i will go of coz... even if it is just to look. A french brand in paris...just feels different :)

scatcat Mar 17th, 2009 11:50 AM

3sica

In April I will be connecting the same as you-depart Nice connect London then to Texas. I have only an hour and a half to connect in London, so I may have a problem. When I depart Nice, I am going to ask the customs there if they can help me since I have a close connection. Probably not. Also, I have bought multiple LV items with no problems.

Guenmai Mar 17th, 2009 12:07 PM

Ekscrunchy-Amen...those abaya/niqab women aren't intimidated. And I'm also one who is not intimidated by anything. Smiles. It's customers' sales that pay their salaries. And if I go into any store/boutique and am not treated as I think I should be, then I take my business elsewhere. Happy Travels!

ekscrunchy Mar 17th, 2009 12:09 PM

Amen! YOU and ME are the customers! Happy Travels!!

3sica Mar 17th, 2009 01:06 PM

scatcat - that was the reason I chose a flight with a transit window of 4.5 hrs. So u do get the forms stamped only when u reach heathrow without leaving the security area?

guenmai,ekscrunchy - way to go fellow shoppers! LV, Chanel here I come! (now, can anyone suggest a place for me to 'park' DH while I am busy shopping? he isnt the artsy type and is purely going to Paris for me :))

ekscrunchy Mar 17th, 2009 01:18 PM

It is always a problem finding a place to park them! It is really annoying when they stand outside the store with their hands crossed and a grumpy expression on their faces!

scatcat Mar 17th, 2009 01:58 PM

3sica
You will have plenty of time even if you do need to leave the secure area, and I think you will.

clueless20 Mar 17th, 2009 02:31 PM

i cant really comment on where the items need to be presented/vat refund requested as i'm a little confused myself. from the rules posted above it seems that everything should be done in the last EU country, but i vaguely recall turning in the papers in italy when we had a connecting flight in amsterdam (but i could be wrong)? odds are LV might inforce the limit on you if you're asian (especially if you're trying to buy a variety of items which it sounds like you are). back in 2004ish items were limited to 2 per passports - including small items/accessories. some said it was supposed to be ONE (!) bag and one accessory. this was at Lafayette, and also true in the main store. we did eventually go to another LV store which happened to not enforce any limits, so we picked up another 2 bags we'd been eyeing :) keep in mind that some (or all?) of the computer systems are linked, i believe, so you cant really buy 2 (or 3 if that's the new limit) in the champ elyesse store and then 2 more at lafayette. also pl note that you would need to declare all your new goodies upon arrival in dubai, which might add up to quite a bit... hope you have a terrific trip! :) (am hoping to go to paris myself in a few months to do some shopping damage :) )