Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   varoretto (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/varoretto-131845/)

Annie Jun 23rd, 2001 12:54 PM

varoretto

We plan to take the vaporetto from the train station to San Marco. Does anyone know how long it will take to get there? We're staying at LaFenice, just west of the piazza. What is the stop and on the return, we are going to Marco Polo airport. How long is that trip? Thanks.

elvira Jun 23rd, 2001 01:56 PM

You get the vaporetto at the front of the train station; depending on how busy it is, it'll take 10-20mins (maybe longer if there are hordes of passengers) but you're chugging along the Grand Canal so it isn't like you're going through a coal mine. San Marco is the name of the stop.<BR><BR>The boat to the airport takes about an hour, maybe a little longer, depending upon where you pick up the vaporetto.

Graziella Jun 23rd, 2001 01:58 PM

Not very much, take the expresso , to San marco, ....I have taken it dozens of times but I cannot tell you exactly may be 15-20 mminutes, the drive is so beautiful that frankly it is not easy to time the ride. Enjoy your ride.

Annie Jun 23rd, 2001 02:20 PM

We will probably buy the 72 hour pass since we will be there exactly three days. I assume the vaporetto will drop us off right at the airport. Thanks for the reply

elvira Jun 23rd, 2001 02:39 PM

Yup, the vaporetto stop is at the back door of the airport, which by the way, is very small and a welcomed relief after JFK or O'Hare or Gatwick (to name just a few).<BR><BR>The vaporettos arrive every few minutes, except for the airport one, which is every hour. Hours and rates change, so get a schedule when you arrive.

John Jun 23rd, 2001 05:34 PM

Three day vaporetto pass is not good for the airport. A separate Alilaguna ticket is needed (about $18 per person).

Annie Jun 23rd, 2001 07:12 PM

Can we buy the 72 hr. pass from the train station?

Phil Jun 24th, 2001 12:35 AM

Annie:<BR>You can buy the 72-hour pass at any Atac (transport authority) counter in Venice. They are located just beside the main vaporetto stops. <BR><BR>Enjoy your trip<BR><BR>Phil.

shari Jun 24th, 2001 03:37 AM

I am also planning on taking a vaporetto from the train station to San Marco vaporetto stop. I will be arriving with 1 large suitcase. The Hotel where I will be staying e-mailed to me that the vaporetto ride would be about 45 minutes and 6000Lire per person including 1 bag per person. I understand that there is a spot in the center of the vaporetto where large suitcases if 'no room" to have next to you. I guess I will have to buy an individual vaporetto ticket for the train to San Marco trip, then when I arrive at San Marco purchase my 3 day vaporetto pass if a ticket office is available there.

Diane Jun 24th, 2001 06:56 AM

You can buy it anywhere you can buy a vaporetto ticket...we got ours at Tronchetto. You only need to validate it once (punch it in the little machine before you take your first ride). Keep it with you so if you are ever asked if you have a ticket, you can show it.

shari Jun 24th, 2001 08:41 AM

<BR>thank you Diane, I will buy the vaporetto ticket when I arrive at the train station. It seems like "the way to go" for getting around in between walking everywhere.

Paulo Jun 24th, 2001 10:32 AM

John, have the Alilaguna tickets indeed raised that much? I thought it was something closer to Lit 18,000 ...<BR><BR>Annie, I'm not 100% sure where your hotel is. I think it's just off Campo S. Angelo but I may be mistaken. If this is indeed the case, though, the closest vaporetto landing stage to the hotel is S. Angelo (and not S. Marco). From the Ferrovia landing stage, yu may take either vaporetto #1 or #82, running from right to left. Vaporetto #1 landing stage is exiting from the train station to the right (Ferrovia S. Lucia) and #82 to the left (Ferrovia Scalzi). Vaporetto #1 stops everywhere, taking 19min and #82 is express, taking 13min.<BR><BR>Paulo

John Jun 24th, 2001 10:50 AM

Paulo: Correct, I keep getting those lira and dollars mixed-up.

Rod Hoots Jun 27th, 2001 07:03 PM

When you arrive at your hotel, check on the vaporetto to the airport. If your flight is very early, you may have a problem.