Varenna Italy

May 14th, 2003, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Varenna Italy

Has anyone stayed at Hotel Du Lac in Varenna. Would you choose Hotel Du Lac in Varenna or Belvedere in Bellagio? Is it important to have a pool?
May 14th, 2003, 10:02 AM

I sound a little like a broken record, because I've posted on this one before. So you might find it useful to do a search because both these hotels have gotten a lot of very good reviews. I loved the Hotel Du Lac in Varenna and would go back there in an instant. I was travelling with my mom that time, and did not want to stay in the Belvedere and have the steep walk up from town every day. We went in early June last year, and it was too chilly for a pool. Although we went to Stresa later in the same week, and we were very glad of the pool there, where it was very hot.
May 14th, 2003, 01:21 PM

Both are very nice, but the Belvedere is special--that is my choice.
May 14th, 2003, 01:22 PM
Bootman4U

Tell him WHY it is "special", Bob!!!!!

May 14th, 2003, 01:38 PM

I'm not sure what Bob would say, but to me, the Belvedere is special because:
*The views from your room are to die for!
*The staff is incredibly friendly, efficient, helpful and accommodating.
May 14th, 2003, 03:46 PM

What Howard said !
May 14th, 2003, 04:00 PM

I hope the Belvedere is all that it is said to be. I've booked it for 3 nights next month based on the positive comments I've read here. (Bob) I figure we could use a good hike by that time in our Italian adventure. Especially if the view is as good as it's claimed to be!
May 14th, 2003, 04:11 PM

Stayed at the Belvedere and loved it-the views are to die for and the "hike up the hill" is not very strenous or far from town unless you're infirm. That being said I had lunch at the Hotel du Lac and that was lovely also. You can't go wrong with either.
May 14th, 2003, 04:20 PM

For what it's worth..Hotel Du Lac (though consistantly recommended) would not guarentee a room with any kind of a view. Belvedere however was quick to do so. At this point in my life.... I gotta have some kind of a view. Thanks for more positive words Colleen!
May 14th, 2003, 04:29 PM

I'll agree that the walk up the hill isn't that bad. In fact, we enjoyed it. You might also check out Bilacus, a restaurant to/from the hotel.
If you'd like to what the view is like from the Belvedere, check out:
http://fodorite.traveorpe.net/index.html
Then click on "Fodorite pictures on this site and scroll down to "Howard at Lake Como." You see a shot from my room, plus some photos of Varenna. (Pardon the self-plug, but there are also three other sets of my photos on the site--other parts of Italy and Paris.)
May 14th, 2003, 04:59 PM
dkw

I have the Belvedere booked for four nights at the end of this month and can't wait!!
Howard: We will most assuredly check out your restaurant recommendation of Bilacus.

Any other restaurant suggestions anyone??
May 14th, 2003, 07:21 PM

I'm a little confused by the two Hotel Du Lac's as there is one in Bellagio and one in Varenna. The one in Bellagio was one of the only hotels which WOULD confirm for us a large room with balcony facing the lake -- and even guaranteed which floor (the fourth if I remember right). As I popped in and out of my room quite a number of times during the late afternoon and evening, I was certainly delighted that I wasn't up the hill at the Belevedere. That might have been fine, but I would have needed to be more organized than staying right down in town, having everything with me and not wanting or needing to go back to the room all evening.
May 15th, 2003, 06:27 AM
GAC

Patrick, you are correct: there are indeed two Hotel Du Lac: a good three star in Bellagio, and a good four star in Varenna.