Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Vaporetto times from Venice to Burano or Torcello

Sep 9th, 2005, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

I've checked out the website, and it appears that it's an hour from Venice to either Burano or Torcello and an hour between the two. Am I reading this right? People talk about going to both plus Murano in a day, and it seems like three hours on the vaporetto to go to the two of them takes a lot of time out of your day.
Sep 9th, 2005, 08:38 AM

I remember that it was about 45 minutes from Venice to Burano. From here I switched vaporetto and the trip to Torcello from Burano is only about 5 minutes (certainly not another hour). I then got a vaporetto back to Burano (5 mins) and explored there before getting another one back to Venice (45 minues). Even with waiting (which I didn't do much of but deliberatley worked out my timings), your total travel time will only be about 1 hours.

I went to Murano on a different day but it would have been easy enough to do that on the same day as the other islands if I had wanted. I think it's a stop between Venice and Burano.

Have you seen how close Burano an Torcello are on the map? That should convince you it's not another hour.
Sep 9th, 2005, 08:39 AM
hdm

On the way to Murano we took a water taxi arranged by our hotel, a vaporetto to Burano and then a vaporetto back from Burano to our hotel and I have to say the trip was longer than I expected. We'd planned to see all three islands but ended up just seeing Murano and Burano because it was getting late. I'd guess that the trip to Murano from our hotel (near the train station) was about a half-hour and then another half-hour on the vaporetto from there to Burano. From Burano back to Venice might have taken closer to an hour because there were stops along the way. I didn't mind because I enjoyed the ride but it did take up the better part of a day to see even those two islands. I was sorry to have missed Torcello but I'll just have to go back to Venice for it (awwwww!).
Sep 9th, 2005, 08:49 AM

The regular vaporetto is fun and a nice ride. It is definitely NOT an hour from Burano to Torcello.
Torcello is one of my favorite sights in Venice. There's a lonely yet mystical feeling to the church of Santa Maria Assunta. Leave yourself plenty of time to enjoy walking around the island.
Sep 9th, 2005, 09:04 AM

You can get ferry 41 or 42 to Murano (it takes about 45 minutes from Fondamenta Nuove from where I took the ferry, but you can get it also from Riva degli schiavoni if I remember well). Get off at Colonna (Murano) walk around the island up to the lighthouse. There is another ferry stop there called Faro (which means lighthouse). Take ferry 12 that stops at Torcello and Burano.
TO go back to Venice Island from Burano take ferry 12 back to Fondamenta nuove. From Burano to F. Nuove it takes about 1 hour and it's a pleasant trip.
Sep 9th, 2005, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

I didn't think it could be an hour between Burano and Torcello, maybe on the website I wasn't putting in the parameters correctly. I'm not sure if I'll go to the islands, but I wanted to know how long it would take, to see if I can fit it in. Thanks for the information.
Sep 9th, 2005, 10:29 AM

It might depend on the time of day or point of departure, but when I've gone to Torcello by vaporetto the trip has been more than an hour, probably about 80 minutes. But Burano to Torcello I agree under 10 minutes or so.
Sep 9th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, elaine, that's good to know. Guess I should allow the 80 mins just in case.