Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Vaporetto from Venice train station & hotel near San Marco & to get around (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/vaporetto-from-venice-train-station-and-hotel-near-san-marco-and-to-get-around-908937/)

katver Oct 11th, 2011 08:42 PM

Vaporetto from Venice train station & hotel near San Marco & to get around

Planning our 2 day Venice stay next month; husband and I will be bringing one piece of luggage each, maybe one carry on (don't know if we will be able to pack just a carry on for our 2 week Italy trip in cold-er season like some travellers on this Forum); does the vaporetto have a limit in luggage? Has anybody used the vaporetto to see the sights in Venice, is it worth getting a pass to get unlimited on/off? Ideas to fill our two sight seeing days welcome!

J62 Oct 12th, 2011 03:43 AM

Single rides on the vaporetto aren't cheap - about 6.50 euros per ride.

You are allowed one large piece of luggage free, so your plan seems ok.

Not sure the exact amount, but I think a 1 day pass is about 15 euros, and about 25 or so for 2 days so if you take more than 2 vaporetto rides a day it'll pay for itself.

In my experience you will likely use the vaporetto upon arrival & departure, but sparingly for the 1st 1-2 days since you'll be exploring a lot on foot. You may want to take a nighttime ride down the Grand Canal, but for exploring the central tourist area there is little need for the vaporetto.

The pass gives you the flexibility to hop on a vaporetto just for the fun of it without having to fork over 6.5 euros each time.

Royal Oct 12th, 2011 03:54 AM

Just returned from 8 days in Venice. We saw many people with luggage using the vaporetto. If you have a shoulder bag as well don't think that would be a problem. Also in November the tourist traffic may be down and the boats not as crowded.

We bought a 7 day pass and it was well worth the money. We used it to get around and also to go to Lido, Murano & Burano. Not sure if you would get your money's worth in 2 days but it's a great way to see Venice. Why not buy a 1 day pass and see how much you use it? If you buy a single ticket it's only good for one way and 60 minutes so keep that in mind when deciding.

Enjoy Venice - a beautiful city.

qwovadis Oct 12th, 2011 03:59 AM

onebag.com for great packing tips

eurocheapo.com/venice getting around

I always buy the pass right at the start

break even after 5 rides usually within the first

few hours I am there... In May paid 40 ruos for 72 hours

It worked great went out to Torcello and Burano REALLY

got my money's worth..extra bags no problem but 1 best.

Have Fun Venice is AWESOME I LOVE it!

qwovadis Oct 12th, 2011 04:01 AM

Come to think about it pass was 20-30 euro per person

so it was more like 50-60 euro total for 2 in May they took CC

Calculated we rode over 40 times so less than 1 euro/ride

Pretty good deal for me.

Delaine Oct 12th, 2011 11:32 AM

I was in Venice at the end of August for 4 days. We only rode the vaporetto 2 of those days. The first day we got a single ticket (for a ride to San Giorgio Maggiore & back). Later that day we wanted to use the vaporetto at a stop where there was no ticket office or machine, which was problematic. The other day we bought a day pass, which was much handier -- no worries about expired tickets or no place to buy them.

My boyfriend had never taken a ride down the length of the Grand Canal and around the Giudecca Canal. We got on at San Marco (outside our hotel) and rode to the Lido. There we were able to secure seats outside and to then make the circuit. It's a good way to see Venice if you haven't done it before and have the time.

katver Oct 13th, 2011 09:05 PM

thanks!

katver Oct 23rd, 2011 09:50 PM

can the vaporetto pass be used to visit Murano or any of the other islands?

J62 Oct 23rd, 2011 10:05 PM

yes, the vaporetto pass can be used to visit Murano, Burano, Lido, etc.