Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Valle de los Caídos: public transport from Madrid? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/valle-de-los-ca-dos-public-transport-from-madrid-399445/)

Emily Feb 15th, 2004 10:58 AM

Valle de los Caídos: public transport from Madrid?

Hi,

I'll be spending 10 days in Spain (3-4 days in Barcelona, 6-7 days in Madrid) in March. I'm planning on taking one or two daytrips from Madrid.

I'd like to know how much it costs to get to Valle de los Caídos from Madrid using public transportation. Also, how long does it take? Bus or train??

Also considering a daytrip to Toledo, some q's as above, cost and duration? Not interested in organized tours.

And; where can I find Picasso's Guernica??

Thanks in advance! (ps. Have checked out madridman.com....)

Emily Feb 15th, 2004 11:47 AM

ttt

Emily Feb 15th, 2004 02:15 PM

topping...again

ms_go Feb 15th, 2004 03:09 PM

Emily,

We took the bus to Toledo last October. It was very easy to do for a day trip. The Continental Bus leaves from the Estacion de Autobuses at the Mendez Alvaro Metro stop (generally south of Old Madrid) and takes about 45 minutes to an hour. I didn't write down the cost, but I think it was about 8E each way. As I recall, the bus leaves about every half hour during the day. You should know that it is a steep 15-20 minute walk into the center of Toledo from the bus station. There is a local bus, but we never figured out where to catch it, so we just walked.

Picasso's Guernica is at the Reina Sofia.

Sorry, I don't know about getting to the Valle de los Caidos (I did that as part of an organized day tour on a previous trip), but I will take this opportunity to put in a plug for a day trip to Segovia -- also a very easy day trip from the bus station at Principe Pio, NW of the Palacio Real (La Sepulvedana bus). The cost was about the same, and the trip took an hour, give or take a few minutes. We liked Segovia even more than Toledo.

Have a great time! We enjoyed our time in Madrid.

car Feb 16th, 2004 03:21 AM

Emily
Bus from "El Escorial", number 660 (Herranz).
From Madrid to El Escorial you can go by train or bus. If you are going for a later bus connection then bus is easier. Buses depart from "Moncloa", bus and metro station.
El Escorial is the short version of "San Lorenzo de EL Escorial".

car Feb 16th, 2004 03:32 AM

Emily
Sorry I forgot cost.
Entrance is 5 € per person (free tour)
There is a possibility to buy a combine ticket of the monastery and Valle de los caídos in a guided tour(for the monastery) for 10 €.
But this does not include transportation between the two.(6-8miles)
Buses cost should be 4 to 5 € to El Escorial and no more than 2 € to El Valle.
By public transportation I will allow 2 to 2.5 hours for the trip either way.
This is only a guess as I have only gone by car.