Validity of Bayern Pass

Old Mar 20th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Validity of Bayern Pass

Two of us will be traveling together next week from Munich to Nurnberg. Intend using the Bayern Pass for 29 euros for the journey. I know that validity of Bayern Pass is only after 9am on weekdays, and only on regional trains. My question is : does the pass also cover local transportation in Nurnberg (on Underground U bahn, trams etc) ?

Similarly, a few days later we intend to travel from Nurnberg to Munich using the Bayern Pass. Will the pass also cover local transport in Munich on subway, trams etc ? If not, what is the best buy for local transport in Munich (for 2 persons) ?
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 08:02 PM

I have used it on S-bahn, but it is not valid on U Bahn or trams or the bus. You can buy a day pass that will cover those. I don't remember the price, but it was cheap for 3 of us. I actually prefer to walk most everywhere in Munich.
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 09:43 PM

Don't worry, the Bayern ticket is valid on ALL of public transport in Munich and Nürnberg (Bus,Tram, whatever (and elsewhere too )
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 10:24 PM
Original Poster

Conflicting replies from the two responses above. Could others also chime in to resolve the confusion please ?
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 10:53 PM

logos is correct.

The Bayern Ticket is not a "train ticket" but, in fact, a day pass for almost any public transport authority or company participating in this scheme. While some rural bus company in the middle of nowhere may not be participating, it does cover, without any exception, ALL public transport in Nürnberg and Munich.

Caveat: The Bayern Ticket is not necessarily available from any vending machine, e.g. you cannot buy it from machines in Munich's buses or trams.
So you should get it in advance for both dates from any vending machine in Munich's S-Bahn stations or many machines in subway stations. You don't have to trek to a long-distance railway station to buy it.

There are cheaper day passes from the local transit authorities for those days you want to travel only in Munich or Nürnberg, respectively. But that was probably not the question.
Old Mar 21st, 2011, 01:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot logos and Cowboy. I had enquired about this from my hotel in Munich, and even they seemed to be unaware about the validity of Bayern Ticket for local transport !

Cowboy, I do realize that when I am traveling only within the city limits, cheaper day passes are available, and I intend to make use of them. However, I was confused about the use of Bayern Ticket on local transport, on the days when I intend to do long-distance travel. You have answered that question, and made my job simpler.

On one day, we intend to travel from Munich to Fussen and then on to Neuschwanstein castle. I believe the Bayern ticket is again valid both for the train journey to Fussen, and the onward bus journey to Hohenschwangau.
Old Mar 21st, 2011, 01:54 AM

Your last para is also correct.

If you want to avoid dealing with vending machines, you can buy online and print at home the Bayern Tickets for all the days you will need them:
http://www.bahn.de/i/view/USA/en/pri...r-ticket.shtml

While you need to put in a start and beginning of your trip, the ticket is valid for whatever trip you plan to make.
Old Mar 21st, 2011, 01:17 PM

You mean I have been paying extra for tram tickets in Munich? Glad to know that, but I really don't use public transportation much there, except to Nymphenburg Palace or to the Auer Dult, sometimes the university area.
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 09:19 PM
ih

did u see the neuschwanstein castle? what did u think of the place as its out of the way.
Old Apr 24th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

ih, we did see the Neuschwanstein Castle, and I am glad we went there. It was certainly worth the trip. Aside from the castle itself, the vistas there are beautiful, and so is Fussen town.