Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   validation period for click card on copenhagen public transportation system (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/validation-period-for-click-card-on-copenhagen-public-transportation-system-935597/)

waldo225 May 18th, 2012 03:37 AM

validation period for click card on copenhagen public transportation system

We will be using public transportation in Copenhagen.
I am planning on buying a 10 ticket click card at the airport kiosk.
with 6 clicks that will get us from the airport to vesterport station which is 3 zones.. From the time we click the card is it only good for 24 hours ? Can we use the remaining four clicks to travel 2 zones from Vesterport to the cruise ship terminal, later the next day?

Soljet May 18th, 2012 05:16 AM

I think what you need is a 24 hour card. With that you can do whatever you want with s-train, metro and busses. The 10 ticket can be used if you only want to use it these 2 times. It is only valid for I think 1½ or 2 hours, so yes, you can use the remaining 2 zones to the cruise ship terminal. So actually, whatever is the most convenient for you. Have a nice trip

waldo225 May 18th, 2012 05:39 AM

Soljet
Can i buy two 10 ticket clip cards at the arport kiosk.
Are they dated for 24 hours then? or only when
you first click it.
My plan is activate one card which gets wife and I from Airport to vesterport 6 clicks
Use remaining four clicks next day Vesterport to frihavnen.
Keep the second 10 ticket card until i get off cruise ship
click it on the bus which will be 10 days later.

chrismo1 May 23rd, 2012 08:20 AM

If you stamp for 3 zones, the validity is 1 hour. this is conted from the time stamp on the punch until the last boarding. If your card is stamped at 15:00 you can board the last bus/train no later than 16:00. You can however continue your journey until your destination as long as you stay in the same means of transport. Otherwise, transfers are free and unlimited within the ticket validity.

travelgourmet May 23rd, 2012 08:44 AM

Your plan should work. But you have the number of clips wrong. The most common klippekort covers 2 zones per clip. So, from the airport to Vesterport, you would only need 2 clips per person - you are covering only 3 zones. From Vesterport to the cruise ship terminal would require only 1 clip per person. So you are looking at 6 clips outbound and, assuming an opposite itinerary, 6 clips return.

The klippekort is valid forever. It is each clip that has the expiry, so you can use the unused clips on your return.

Certainly, at least one klippekort makes sense and you can purchase it at the airport. There are kiosks and manned desks. I'm not sure the kiosks take anything other than coins and Dankort - they may not take credit cards.

I'm a little unclear what other travel you might be doing around the city, but if you will make 2 or 3 additional trips, then go ahead and buy a second 2-zone klippekort. If you won't be taking any extra trips, you could buy a 3-zone klippekort. This would mean 1 clip for each to and from the airport + 1 clip each to and from the cruise ship terminal, for a total of 8 clips, meaning you won't need to buy a second.

chrismo1 May 23rd, 2012 02:04 PM

@Waldo: it seems that you are talking in number of zones and not number of clicks. On a 2-zone card, each click is "worth" 2 zones. Also, these clicks can be shared as ong as the totals match. An example: if two person are travelling from the airport to the city (that's a 3 zone trip), then you have to pay for 6 zones total. You can either stamp a 3 zone card twice (one stamping for each of you) or stamp a 2 zone card 3 times, one of the stampings is shared between you. Just remember that the shortest legal trip is two zones, even if travelling only in one zone.