Valencia, Spain, short trip report

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2019, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hola. I've just come back from 5 days in Valencia.

Airport to hotel: we took taxis which cost us 27 Euros on way since it was a Sunday. On Friday, the same trip in the reverse direction cost us 22 Euros
Hotel: Tryp Oceanic (located between old town and beach and next to Science Center)
Tours: old city and Science Center
Recommendations: get a bike for the full time. The park is the heart of Valencia and is a fantastic way to get around.
Food: Paella, of course! and fish. So many places serve these dishes so you'll be able to compare paellas with time.

Other highlights:
- the Central Market
- walking through the old city's narrow streets
-watching the Vicente Ferrer procession with about 1,000 locals dressed up in traditional costumes.
- riding along the beach
- riding to El Palmar on our bikes and having a marvelous paella at Angel Restaurant
- warm weather
- it wasn't cruise ship season yet so the old town wasn't flooded with tourists
- visiting a winery outside of Valencia

I think my group liked the park and the science center the best although the procession was a highlight too. Paella gets kind of old after awhile so try other dishes too!

Enjoy Valencia! I like it much better than Barcelona.

Old May 8th, 2019, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm so happy you enjoyed it. Valencia is SO underrated.
AZ
Old May 8th, 2019, 11:10 AM

We also liked Valencia very much..stayed a week !
Old May 13th, 2019, 06:18 AM

I’m glad you liked it. We’ll be spending 6 nights there over Christmas so I’m happy to read all these favourable reports.
Old May 13th, 2019, 11:50 AM

Just returned (yesterday) from five weeks road and train adventure through Andalucia and onto Valencia and Barcelona. We, too, really enjoyed Valencia - spent five days there in an apartment near the bull ring about a week and a half ago. We're not big paella fans, but found no shortage of other delicious foods to eat. I think our favorite dinner was at Jamon Jamon on Calle Bolsoria. We had the tasting menu (adding pimientos de padron to the mix) and - yum!. Go early or make a reservation - it's very cozy, and we lost count of the number of people who came in and were turned away because there were no free tables.

We took the metro out to the beach to eat paella, since we figured you HAVE to have it at least once if you're in Valencia - but didn't find anything great, so still "meh" to paella.

If you're going to be in Valencia - be sure to visit the Llotja, and spring for the audio guide. The history and architecture are awesome. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llotja_de_la_Seda

And of course, the market is another sight to see - especially of you have a kitchen and want to cook with some local ingredients.

Last edited by scdreamer; May 13th, 2019 at 11:54 AM.
Old May 13th, 2019, 05:05 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Very interesting to read these descriptions of Valencia after Las Fallas. While we were there, during Las Fallas, the experience was wonderful and overwhelming. It would be very different to visit during a time when life in the city was more normal.