Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Valencia or other seaside Spanish area? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/valencia-or-other-seaside-spanish-area-189752/)

Stacy Apr 1st, 2002 08:27 PM

Valencia or other seaside Spanish area?

I will be traveling with my boyfriend to Spain in early July and we would like to see some historical things, party, and relax on the beach. We would also like to stay on the Mediterranean side. I have already been to Barcelona/Sitges. Would you suggest Valencia or somewhere else?

Rex Apr 1st, 2002 09:18 PM

If you just want good sand, sun and sea, I'd suggest Benidorm. But not a lot else there. Beware that you may have to put blinders on your boyfriend there. Or maybe, he only has eyes for you.<BR><BR>Surely Valencia is more interesting. I just don't personally know about the beach there.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

ttt Apr 1st, 2002 10:15 PM

another ones-y to the top, for Stacy<BR>

Lesley Apr 2nd, 2002 12:11 AM

Rex, have you ever been to Benidorm?!! It's not a place you go to twice. It's aweful. Stacy, do not go to Benidorm. It is the worst of the package holiday resorts, all high rise tower blocks and Northern Europeans (mainly English). As they say, if God wished to give the world an enema, Benidorm is where He'd put the tube.<BR><BR>Valencia is a lovely city and Alicante is interesting too. Both are surrounded by holiday resorts. But if you haven't been to the costa del sol, perhaps that would suit you better. <BR><BR>Whatever you do, DO NOT GO TO BENIDORM.

anon Apr 2nd, 2002 02:46 AM

Attacking sure is a popular sport on this forum.<BR><BR>The post said:<BR><BR>"Benidorm... not a lot there. <BR><BR>Surely Valencia is more interesting."<BR>

Rex Apr 2nd, 2002 03:52 AM

I have indeed been to Benidorm.<BR><BR>It ain't no paradise, to be sure. But they can't screw up the beach/sea.<BR><BR>I won't pick on (plenty of) other places (epsecially here in the US - - I haven't seen all that much of Europe's yucky places) - - but there are a lot worse places to be than Benidorm.<BR><BR>And Lesley doesn't quite answer the question (which I cannot answer either) about the beach scene at Valencia.<BR><BR>It could be that Stacy doesn't want to travel as far as the Costa del Sol. Perhaps better to answer the question she asks?<BR>

Lesley Apr 2nd, 2002 05:59 AM

Rex, you are right that Benidorm has two splendid beaches. But in summer you can hardly find a spot to sit amongst the red bodies. I just didn't believe that someone would want to come half a world just to drink English or German beer, eat lousy hamburgers and listen to tacky blue jokes in English. There's plenty to do in Benidorm, lots of night clubs, bars, restaurants and even Terra Mitica (Mythical land) which is a pale attempt at a kind of Disney world, but it's all tacky isn't it? If Stacy liked Sitges, I can't believe she would like Benidorm.<BR><BR>Most of the coastal towns around Valencia are very Spanish, but because there is a wide strip of flat land between the sea and the mountains here, there is a lot of high rise. Peniscola, (any connection with Pensicola?) to the north of Valencia has an interesting old walled part with a castle. Remember the last shot in El Cid, where he rides out of the castle onto the beach to do battle with the arabs? Well that's Peniscola. Stacy, look up their web site www.comunitat-valenciana.com. They have cam pictures which are live and all kind of info about the region. There is an English version. You can see a shot of Benidorm and decide if it's for you.

viva Apr 2nd, 2002 06:40 AM

Look up the site Spain alive.com and they go down the coast and describe the beaches,areas very well.Hope it helps

John G Apr 2nd, 2002 07:01 AM

I have been to the beach at Valencia and it isn't bad, although there is litter floating in the water in some places. I wouldn't call it idyllic, though. There are things to do in Valencia, such as visiting the cathedral that supposedly contains the Holy Grail, or visiting the open-market area behind it. Here you will find clothing, pottery, and "antiques." But, Valencia is such a "spread out" city, that you have to cab it almost everywhere.

Rex Apr 2nd, 2002 08:55 AM

Thanks, Lesley.<BR>

poor Apr 2nd, 2002 10:56 AM

Valenia is aport and sadly this fact has polluted the nearby beaches,thenyou have the rice paddies.So to get to decent beaches you do indeed have to travel down to Benidorm and keep going to the capital of the costa blanca-Alicante.The bay stretches forever,San Juan is the largest beach.Lots of old and new things going on in Alicanteday and night.I loved it for 2 weeks and could easily have stayed the entire summer!

Alicante Apr 2nd, 2002 11:40 PM

Any good web sites?<BR><BR>

mpprh Apr 2nd, 2002 11:51 PM

Hi<BR><BR>Why not go North to Costa Brava ?<BR><BR>Excellent beaches, set in rocky bays, Mountains nearby, and plenty of choice.<BR><BR>For side trips visit Girona (medieval centre with roman and arabic remains), Andorra, Figueras (Dali Museum), Port legat (Dali House), Empuria Brava (Extensive remains of Phoenician / Greek / Roman port).<BR><BR>Or just laze<BR><BR>Peter<BR><BR><BR>

Espana Apr 3rd, 2002 02:56 AM

La Herradura in the province of Granada, simply charming charming charming

up Apr 3rd, 2002 11:05 PM

up up<BR>