we are visiting Italy for 4 weeks in July (2A2C aged 10 and 7) and we were originally going to spend a week in this area, but I am wondering if there is a quieter, more off the beaten track alternative? (looking at Umbria or le Marche or even Santa Maria Ligure)
We love to travel and are looking to explore Italian towns, eat, and just enjoy the Summer in Italy but preferably not while elbowing our way through the crowds and queuing to enter a popular picturesque town.
Am I overreacting to the possible crowd/peak season/heat situation? we come from a tropical climate in Australia so we are happy to escape our Winter and like the water weather.
Our itinerary may also include:
Rome 7 nights
Val d'Orcia or ??? 7 nights
* Lucca 5 nights
* Verona 5 nights
* Varenna/Orta 5 nights (maybe a combination of this area)
Milan 1 night
* we normally stay a week in each place so my personal feeling is that this will be a bit rushed...
We are also considering Venice and would stay in the Dorsoduro area, but I also have qualms about visiting this area in the Summer...
I would love any opinions on our itinerary please. DH and I have been to Italy before but it was pre children and 15 years ago. I speak Italian, albeit rusty, and we like to slow travel, stay in apartments and just soak in the area we are in, we have highlights we want to see and experience in all of these areas so other than Rome we are pretty flexible.
Our children do not need amusement parks, or child-centred activities that some seem to require, we are all just very excited to be in Italy and trust that whatever we do and wherever we go we will have a blast.
Thanks so much, I have been reading all the TR's and threads which is why I am changing my mind from our original ideas to explore the less touristy version of this gorgeous country.
We also do not want to venture South of Rome this trip.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 London 'Tube-less', Fine dining, Fun excursions plus a GTG
- 2 Help me get excited about a week in Portugal
- 3 Where to Visit in Normandy & Brittany
- 4 Which Area in London?
- 5 family trip to Germany and more
- 6 Overnight stop from Berlin to Paris
- 7 Trains - website?
- 8 Ham tacos and the toilet isn't sucking mud
- 9 Paris Apartment
- 10 Lisbon stay - Olissippo Lapa Palace vs NH Collection Lisboa Liberdade
- 11 Headed to Madrid in the Spring
- 12 Barcelona to Malaga
- 13 UK Mid- May drive week Cornwall
- 14 Milan airport--which one
- 15 Lorie Valley and Beyond
- 16 Italy 9 Days in December/Itinerary Help
- 17 Best area to stay in Amsterdam for a first time visitor
- 18 Overwhelmed with planning! Need help from Italy experts.
- 19 1st time to Europe
- 20 Paris November 2017
- 21 Can only visit one (maybe two) cities. Which one?
- 22 A Merry marvelousmouse, and (likely more than one) cup of good cheer!
- 23 Three nights in the Italian Riviera: hiking in Camogli with day trips
- 24 Mid-May stay in Lauterbrunnen or Murren
- 25 St, Goar or Bacharach