Val d'Orcia accomodation advice!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2006, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mom and I are traveling to Italy the first week of March. I understand this is not a fabulous time to visit, but the only time we can get away. Three of the days we will be based in the Val d'Orcia area and are very excited. The last time there, I visited Montalcino and the S'antimo abbey for an afternoon.

Here is where I need some advice as I am sure the weather is up for grabs at this time. With money not being the deciding factor, at this time of year, would you stay in a town or at an inn in the country? My dilema is choosing between La Saracina in the countryside or Palazzo del Capitano in San Quirico. I know there is a dramatic difference in price but I need to know info regarding countryside vs. in town location.

Thank you so much in advance for any help you can give.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 06:07 AM

We stayed at the Capaitano in San Quirico last June and absolutely loved it. What a wonderful place to come "home" to after a full day. The garden in the back is a wonderful place to sit , relax with a glass of wine and write in you travel journal.
I can't comment on your other choice, but would highly recommend the Capitano.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 07:59 AM

We were in the Val d'Orcia in late March in '04 and the countryside was beautiful.

Our closest friends have an apt. in San Quirico, so we stayed with them. We've also visited on several other occastions. Before they purchased the apt, we stayed at La Saracina - twice. I think you will find San Quirico more enjoyable in March. Lots of activity in the village - people walking into the fields to pick tulips & other winter flowers, cafes (non-smoking now) full of locals, picking up a train at Buonoconvento & spending a night in Florence without the hords of toursits, 45 mins to Siena w/o tourists, peacful drives in the countryside, walking to several local restaurants (there is a new one that opened up this year - kitty corner from the Bar Centrale or friends say it's a "stop above" the others).

Stu Dudley
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your replies. I thought staying in a village might be preferrable at this time of the year. It will be hard not to stay at La Saracina because it looks beautiful. Any more input on del Capitano?
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 10:16 AM

There have been many past posts about Capitano - do a search on it.

Stu Dudley
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Stu, for your reply. Have already done several searches so I decided to throw it out to people on the boards who may have been there but not written a review. You're right, Not much posting out there re:.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 12:49 PM

I agree Gina--stay in the village in March.