Reload this Page >

Vaccinations for Portugal?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 01:18 PM
aj

We hope to be in Portugal and Spain next May. While doing some "homework" in a current guidebook they say "it is a sensible precaution to have had a typhoid shot and a current polio booster". Any thoughts on this? We will probably only be in Lisbon and surrounding areas.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 02:04 PM
John G

Portugal, especially Lisbon, is thoroughly modern. We aren't talking third world here, darling. You can drink the water right from the tap without any worries, and find restaurants cleaner than those in the US and UK. Lisbon is also one of the cleanest cities in Europe, as is Sintra.<BR>So, unless you plan on drinking the water right out of the Tagus, I would rest easy.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 02:17 AM
pedro

aj<BR><BR>vaccination against yellow fever, typhoid, polio, cholera and sun burns are mandatory. If you fail to display the evidence of these vaccinations, they will shot in a compulsory way. And take care because the niddle is the same since 1958...

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 04:31 AM
aj

Thanks for the responses! I know that Lisbin is not "third world". That is why I was shocked to read this in my DK Travel Guide! I guess I don't need to worry. I really was not trying to "cut" Portugal. I am looking forward to my visit.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 04:51 AM
J T Kirk

<BR><BR>I have not seen that mentioned re: Portugal. I've been to Portugal and though the country may be about 20-30 years behind most European countries, I saw no reason to warrant getting shots.<BR>Check out Obidos.<BR>Have fun.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 05:06 AM
Manard

Captain Kirk<BR><BR>What did "Bones" have to say about it?<BR><BR>

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 05:57 AM
J T Kirk

<BR><BR>Bones said, "He's dead, Jim."<BR>He said that alot.<BR>He was such a downer.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 11:51 AM
Nomad

All the shots you need at home! Portugal is a modern country - definitely not third world. Do check out Sintra. Ditto on Obidos. There is a beautiful castle there and the town is exquisite. I highly recommend the pousada (B&B) there. <BR><BR>Bom viagem!