Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Vaccinations & Supplemental Health Insurance for Senior Citizen?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 1999, 09:51 PM
Susie

Hello world travelers - I am the lady taking my mother on her first trip to Europe. It's my love gift to her for her 80th birthday. Mom is nervous - her latest question is whether she will need shots. My answer is, as long as she's had her flu shot, the only other thing I can think of is making sure she has had a tetanus shot in the last couple of years. In case she should happen to get sick on the trip and need a doctor or hospitalization, I understand that medicare isn't honored in Europe. Her supplemental policy is Blue Cross, so I am assuming she needs to check with her agent and see if she would be covered by that policy. Has anyone ever had this experience? I have also read that medicine needs to be taken in one's overnight case in its' original bottle. Can't prescriptions be placed in a 2-week pill holder that you can purchase at any drugstore? What else do I need to know? Please, any advise anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated. <BR>Thank you!!! <BR>

Old Mar 2nd, 1999, 12:22 PM
Karen

Sounds to me like you are doing everything just right...luckily, we have had no problems with health while traveling. Cannot think of anything else you need to do, except if you do have a health problem, pay the bill and keep all the receipts and get reimbursement when you return.

Old Mar 3rd, 1999, 01:40 AM
Martha

Hi, Susie-- <BR>Blue Cross does have a list of preferred providers in Europe; ask your mother's agent. You might also look into a travel health insurance policy, which would pay for medical care, plus repatriation to the US if necessary. Repatriation usually means you get first class airline seats and a private nurse. It can cost a lot-- sometimes even more than the medical treatments themselves-- so consider getting insurance which covers it. <BR>Martha <BR>P.S. We've travelled through Greece and France with my 80-something father and stepmother, and everyone had a great time-- Assure your mother it can be done!

Old Mar 4th, 1999, 12:42 PM
Richard

Susie, My wife and I don't quite fit into your Mother's category, I'm 61, my wife 52, but we do take out travel insurance for our travel in Europe. It's basically a policy that will pay for your meds and hospital stay until you can file with your insurance company here, and it also pays for travel back to the States if needed. The cost is relatively cheap, I think about $4.00/day. Since we tour on bikes we feel the exposure to accidents is increased, so this gives us peace of mind. Your thougts on shots is right on.

Old Mar 4th, 1999, 12:49 PM
Richard

Susie, My wife and I don't quite fit into your Mother's category, I'm 61, my wife 52, but we do take out travel insurance for our travel in Europe. It's basically a policy that will pay for your meds and hospital stay until you can file with your insurance company here, and it also pays for travel back to the States if needed. The cost is relatively cheap, I think about $4.00/day. Since we tour on bikes we feel the exposure to accidents is increased, so this gives us peace of mind. Your thougts on shots is right on.

Old Mar 18th, 1999, 05:56 PM
Seamus

Susie - last Fall I took my Mom on a Europe jaunt, and she became ill with pneumonia, required hospitalization in Zurich. The care was excellent (and I am not easy to please!). <BR>RE: insurance - Medicare will not help overseas UNLESS your mom is enrolled in a Medicare HMO which offers foreign benefits. Call the customer service number on her Blue Cross insurance ID card and ask specifically about coverage outside the US. Ask what procedure should be followed in the event health care is needed overseas - what number to call for authorization, what must be done in order to have the services covered. <BR>The travel insurance discussed by others would be a good investment. While my Mom was hospitalized there was another American down the hall who requried transport back to the US, and the family was looking at close to $20,000 in costs! If it is not too expensive, a policy would go far toward creating a sense of security. Be sure that the one you purchase offers coverage for professional services and transportation if required, and that it pays up front, not on a you-pay-and-get-reimbursed (eventually) basis. <BR>As to medication, it is best to have the orginal bottles. You can ask your pharmacist to dispense the amount you'll need for the trip, but allow a day or two extra dose "just in case". And NEVER check meds in baggage - always carry with you. <BR>Have a GREAT time!

Old Mar 19th, 1999, 11:32 PM
Susie

Karen, Martha, Richard, Seamus: <BR>Thank you for all of your advice. I now have my mother's insurance info and will be calling Blue Cross on Monday. She picked up a form from a travel agent for Travel-Ex (Name of Company that supposedly insures everything from trip cancellation, etc.) I called their 800 number and talked to a young lady that didn't quite convince me that she knew what she was talking about. I will investigate other plans -- evidently you don't sign up for this insurance until seven days before your departure date, or a pre-existing condition is not covered. <BR>Are you familiar with this policy? Have finally decided on our trip plan and it is posted under 55 & 80-year old women traveling alone. Seamus, please comment since you have traveled with your Mother. Thanks! <BR>