Vacationing by car from Gothenburg to Germany and back

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2014, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a read a number of useful tips here, so want to try to get some more... We are going to Gothenburg in July to pick up our new Volvo, and am working on finalizing a trip. Current plan start in Gothenburg (fixed), with a couple of day moving down the west coast to Helsingborg (or venturing off the coast, e.g. to Vajxo? if someone suggest something great to see?), then taking a ferry to Denmark, exploring Copenhagen for 3 days, and then taking a ferry to Rostock, Germany ( where we need to spend a day or two to connect with family). From there I thought of either taking an overnight ferry from Kiel back to Gothenburg and spending 2 remaining days in its vicinity ( any advice?) or we can take a ferry to Malmo, and drive up from there, to return the car to Gothenburg 2 days later.

Mainly, I'd like to find out if it would make sense to spend more time in Helsingborg vicinity, or half- a day is plenty? versus driving toward the lakes in the middle of the country and staying there for a night or two? Do not want to jump around too much, but also want to see the country some, not just big cities... I would take it any input and suggestions gratefully.
Old Jun 15th, 2014, 03:57 PM

In case you didn't know - you can drop the car got at other locations( for a fee) so you don't HAVE to drive back to Goteburg. Says will also fly you from cities other than Goteburg - if it makes your trip more flexible. (At least they did when we did this in same thing in 2011.)
Old Jun 15th, 2014, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

I do know that, but we are already booked to fly in/out Gothenburg. So, just need to decide if to spend a couple of days exploring the city and its vicinity or travel through the country side...I would be grateful for any input re: things to see and do ...
Old Jun 16th, 2014, 07:42 AM

Travelling down the coast from Gothenburg towards Helsingoer is a good idea. Near Angelholm, there is some nice scenery at Kullen which are dramatic cliffs, in Helsingborg you can go to Sofiero Slott which is very nice. South of Gothenburg there is the archipelago. Mostly it is miles and miles of forest when you travel inland, with Falu red wooden cottages and the odd lake here and there.
You could also drive eastwards towards Jonkoping and then south towards Helsingborg. It's nice countryside but not sure if it is worth the detour. North Sjælland has pretty countryside and small towns worth looking around.
Old Jun 17th, 2014, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Odin, this is very helpful. Anhelholm was an alternative plan, so I'll explore it further.