vacation in portugal

Search

vacation in portugal

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2003, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vacation in portugal

we have a wedding to attend in Paris this summer and are looking to take 2 weeks vacation last of July and first of August before the wedding.
Was thinking about Portugal?? We are husband, wife and 2 kids 9 and 13.
I started to do some reseach but need some help as what to visit.
Thanks
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 07:47 AM

We were there earlier this spring. What are your interests and will you have a car?
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 07:53 AM
LJ

Carolnvic: you might also try a search on Portugal here: seems to me there was a recent thread opened up with a lot of info on Lisbon, the Algarve and other areas of Portugal.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

hi xxxx
Yes, we will rent a car. We need to find interesting thing to do with the kids but also visit the country. We try to see a new country every summer: about 5 or 6 different places during 2 weeks. Don't really need the beach as we live in Florida but can pass by as I'm sure it's different from here.
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 04:53 AM

What do your kids find interesting? We enjoy museums, castles and churches. While in Lisbon we enjoyed Belem, the castle and the oceanario (I think kids especially would like this). We stayed in Sintra and enjoyed the Moorish Castle and National Palace more than Pena Palace. We splurged and stayed at the Pousada in Obidos--liked the idea of staying in a castle. I wouldn't do it again as we found out that we liked many other of the historical pousadas much better for less money. From there we went to Batalha (amazing), Alcobaca (see it before Batalha) and Tomar. Tomar was a highlight. Saw the Roman Ruins at Conimbriga--also impressive. The church of Bom Jesus do Monte in Braga is beautiful but took us a bit out of the way. We then went northeast to Almeida--there are many castle ruins in the area as well the the Coa River Valley cave drawings (wanted to see that, but were unable to). Guimares was a pleasant surprise--castle and palace. The towns of Sortelha and Sabugal seemed to step out of the pages of a book. Marvao was the other highlight of the trip. It almost seems you can touch the sky from the castle ruins. Before heading back to Lisbon, we were in Estremoz, Monsaraz and Evora.