Vacation in Paris rental ID 125

Aug 31st, 2007, 12:21 PM
L4C
Original Poster

Vacation in Paris rental ID 125

Hello -

Does anyone have any info on this particular vacation rental? We are booked for January in this apartment, and I'm concerned that that address (150 rue St Honore) will not be too "neighborhood-y" and there won't be any small cafes and shops. Please tell me I'm wrong! Link to apartment:

http://www.vacationinparis.com/apts/id_125.htm

Thanks for any help you can give me - I am a new user on this site.

L.
Aug 31st, 2007, 01:29 PM

I think if you put 150 rue St Honore into the search area you will come up with some good hits.
Aug 31st, 2007, 01:53 PM

The apartment looks very nice and a good price too. You are directly across the river from St Germain, a 5-10 min walk from the apartment, you should have no problem finding neighborhood places if there aren't any in the immediate vicinity, really though, there are small cafes. everywhere in Paris. Also, good location to get everywhere to sightsee, especially if the weather is bad...good metro connections too. Hope this helps.
Aug 31st, 2007, 01:56 PM

The apartment looks lovely and fortunately says it faces a courtyard and a church, so it's quiet. Is it neighborhood-y? I'm doubtful. You're in a very touristy area there, near the Louvre.

Would you rebook if you found out it wasn't charming? I'll be in that area tomorrow and am happy to take a look (and a picture) if it will affect your decision.
Aug 31st, 2007, 01:56 PM

L4C,

When we were trying to book an apt, this was one we really liked - both the looks and the area, but it wasn't available for our dates.

We did book a different apt with Vacationinparis for Sept.
Aug 31st, 2007, 02:19 PM

If it's at 150 St Honore, it isn't exactly a residential area much. I wouldn't want to stay there either, but lots of people would as they ask about wanting to stay near the Louvre. It's about right across the street from the Louvre (street goes off at an angle) and near those arcade shops on the rue de Rivoli, and near the Palais Royal.

There are zillions of shops around there, though, no worry on that score, and cafes. It's just not a typical residential area, but some people live in apts near Palais Royal.
Aug 31st, 2007, 06:46 PM
L4C
Original Poster

Thank you all for responding! We are now officially booked, deposit has been sent so I will not cancel. Just want to prepare myself for reality! Also - we are traveling with a 3 yr old, do you think this is a good spot? Things to walk to, etc? I realize we're talking January and the weather is iffy - I just don't want to be stuck in the apt with a jet-lagged 3 yr old daughter and no where to walk to with out a metro ride. Thanks again.

L.
Aug 31st, 2007, 10:05 PM

Nowhere to walk to?
I sit here coveting that apt and an opportunity to be stuck there.
There are bus lines all over the place right around there, and the bus is a lovely way to get around. Buy a pass, get bus route map, go wild. In a pinch, on a cold Jan day, you could even stroll around the Louvre.
Aug 31st, 2007, 11:31 PM

You're also right by the Jardins de Tuileries and not far from the two islands... you'll have plenty of places to walk.
Sep 1st, 2007, 05:01 AM
L4C
Original Poster

Again, thank you all - when I said "nowhere to walk to" I didn't think about how silly it would sound. I know there are many places to walk to! I just meant I hope that there are places (like cafes, bakeries, etc) within a block or two of our apartment so that my daughter will be able to walk with us and not use her stroller so we can wear her out a bit. Recently we stayed in New Orleans in the business district and there weren't any shops open on the weekend, or anything not catering to the business crowd, basically. Know what I mean?

Thanks for all your help!

L.
Sep 1st, 2007, 06:02 AM

I could be wrong, but this isn't a typical residential neighborhood so don't expect things like bakeries. There are cafes around there, of course, just may not be the same kind as in a more residential area. Because of the tourists there and the Louvre, it isn't the same as a regular business area either, so it's not going to be dead outside business hours. New Orleans can't even be compared to any other city right now in terms of business and what's open, I'd say. But I do know some places are kind of dead that are solely business areas outside them, but this area isn't like that, either.
Sep 1st, 2007, 06:34 AM
L4C
Original Poster

Ok, New Orleans was probably a bad comparison - but we've been there many times both before and after Katrina, and my experience in the business district was actually pre-Katrina. But that's not important - I thank you for the info. Do you think a walk to rue Montorgueil would be our best bet for a bakery? Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

TIA,
L.
Sep 1st, 2007, 07:12 AM

L4C: On the website I see two different prices, one says $175 for two people but on the main page it says $275, may I ask you what they are charging you?
Good choice, I think it will work out better than you imagine.
Sep 1st, 2007, 09:52 AM

L4C - I walked past your place on my way home tonight and I think it's fine! I took pictures - you can see them here: http://slangevar.buzznet.com/user/photos/recent/ (let me know if the link doesn't work for you).

Some info: The specific street you're on is not what you'd call "charming," but it's a stone's throw from places that are.

You have a decent-looking (I think) brasserie on the corner and you're a block from both the Louvre and the little square I shot in my pictures. The park near the Forum Les Halles is just beyond that square and there were a TON of children in it... it was really sweet.

Also, coincidentally, I recognized your area from the chocolate tour I went on by Paris Walks. You're in the same neighborhood as two of the best chocolatiers in the world: Jean-Paul Hevin (231 rue Saint Honore) and Cote de France (25 Avenue de L'Opera). Hevin also has a tea room above it that serves a historical French kind of hot chocolate and world-class eclairs... I recommend giving it a try.

Also, that area is just below Paris's "Little Japan." If you like sushi and/or Japanese noodles, they're actually quite good and affordable in the area (I just went to Japan, so I'm kind of a sushi snob).

So don't worry - you're in a great area that's quite central.
Sep 1st, 2007, 10:00 AM

Btw, the "charming" comment wasn't meant to come off as dismissive or judgmental. You just asked if it was neighborhood-y and it's not entirely. It's MUCH quieter than some surrounding streets, but I think you'll be happiest if you walk a block or two up for your morning cafe au lait.
Sep 1st, 2007, 10:08 AM

skangevar,

May I just say that was incredibly nice of you to take the time to scope out the area, photograph, and post pictures for the OP?

Awesome!
Sep 1st, 2007, 10:18 AM

Thanks, amamax2! Another Fodorite did a similar walk-by for me a few months ago, so I'm sort of passing the favor forward.

(Plus, I have to admit that I was totally rewarded with that lovely little park, which I never would have seen otherwise.)
Sep 1st, 2007, 10:19 AM

Slangevar, I too am impressed by your kind and generous act. How very nice of you!
Sep 1st, 2007, 10:34 AM
L4C
Original Poster

Oh my goodness - Slangevar, you are a saint! I am so impressed by the generosity and wealth of information on this site. Thanks so much to all of you (but especially Slangevar

I will do my best to "pay it forward"!

L.

PS - we are paying $185/night for 4pp (me, my husband, our 3 yo daughter, and my sister-in-law). Looks like we got a deal!
Sep 1st, 2007, 10:44 AM
L4C
Original Poster

Susanna:

I think that may be a misprint, since the apt only sleeps 5 and it now says 7. I'm pretty sure the actual price is $175/2pp, $185/4pp.

L.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO